Map Map of Refugio County, Texas
About this Item
- Map of Refugio County, Texas
- Winsor, E. S., cartographer.
Created / Published
- Victoria,Texas.: Winsor, E.S., 1925.
- - Real property--Texas--Refugio County--Maps
- - Landowners--Texas--Refugio County--Maps
- - Refugio County (Tex.)--Maps
- - United States--Texas--Refugio County
- Cadastral maps
- - [Texas]: Winsor, E.F.: MAP OF REFUGIO COUNTY TEXAS. Victoria, Tx.: Refugio Abstract & Title Company, [ca. 1925]. Blue-line map, approximately 33 1/2 inches x 45 1/2 inches. Original folds.
- - Blue line map.
- - A large-scale cadastral map of Refugio County, showing land ownership and other topographical detail. Refugio County is located along the Gulf Coast, just north of Corpus Christi. Land lots both great and small are shown, and the name of the owner is given in either printed or manuscript form. The manuscript notes are plentiful, mostly in the central portion of the map, and carry the information forward as late as 1934. Interestingly, this was the same year that the Tom O'Connor field was discovered in Refugio County, and the area has been an important source of oil and gas ever since. The O'Connor family are shown to be major landowners, and the names of Martin O'Connor and Mrs. D.M. O'Connor also appear on the map as owners of large lots of land. Names of other women are also shown on large properties, including Rosa Lambert, Mrs. F.B. Rooke, and Mrs. K.D. Roache. The map itself is exceedingly rare, with no copies in OCLC; the present copy, with its manuscript additions, is positively unique and an important source for and ownership issues even to the present day.
- - Note: Additional data as furnished by the Refugio Abstract & Title Co. placed hereon, Dec. 1925.
- - Justification: U.S. County land ownership maps have been popular among G&M researchers and consequently acquiring wanting maps have been a priority for much of the history of G&M. This rare Texas county L.O. map is appropriately priced.
- - Stained and creased along fold lines.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; 86 x 117 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
- G4033.R45G46 1925 .W5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Winsor, E. S., Cartographer. Map of Refugio County, Texas. Victoria,Texas.: Winsor, E.S, 1925. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2022585159/.
APA citation style:
Winsor, E. S. (1925) Map of Refugio County, Texas. Victoria,Texas.: Winsor, E.S. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2022585159/.
MLA citation style:
Winsor, E. S., Cartographer. Map of Refugio County, Texas. Victoria,Texas.: Winsor, E.S, 1925. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2022585159/>.