Manuscript/Mixed Material Nanganak Ti Mangyan
About this Item
- Nanganak Ti Mangyan
- The Birth of a Mangyan
- Luyon (Mangyan author)
Created / Published
- - Mangyan language--Texts
- - Prose
- - Item 1 in Set 2 is made up of two pieces: one with a composition titled, "Birth of a Mangyan," and another with the name of author. The reverse of the first piece has a note in Spanish "No. 1 Nacimiento y nombre de niños mangyanes," "Dirigido por I. Maliwanag" and "Escrito por Luyon." --Notes on item.
- - Source of transliteration/translation/transcription: Fletcher Gardner and Ildefonso Maliwanag, Indic Writings of the Mindoro-Palawan Axis, Vol. 1, no. 1, p. 28.
- - Mangyan transliteration: 1. May nakitan ako mangyan nanganak unman waya dugay. 2. Lalaki kay anak. 3. Kay pangaran si Pedro niya ama niya ina. 4. Nak-an pinangaranan si Pedro? 5. Kay bi si Pedro ti unan tauo nag rasog. 6. Mayad magalaga sa lapsag, unman lang masiado malinis kay ginhawa.
- - English translation: 1. Not long ago I found a Mangyan (woman) just delivered. 2. The child was a boy. 3. He was called Pedro by his father and his mother. 4. Why was he called Pedro? 5. Because Pedro was the first man who arrived (after the baby was born). 6. They are good nurses in childbirth, but there is just not much opportunity to be clean (with the baby).
- - Note on author: Not much is known about Luyon except that in her writings she describes herself as the "wife of Yagao." We also know that Luyon was presumed by Gardner to be at least fifty years old in 1939. In a footnote on page 28 of volume 1 of Indic Writings of the Mindoro Palawan Axis, Gardner notes that as Luyon "writes of affairs under the Spanish occupation which ended more than forty years ago, she is presumably at least fifty years old." Luyon is the author/copier of all the items in set 2.
- - original filename: box2no1a
- 1/2 round bamboo
- Mangyan bamboo collection from Mindoro, Philippines, circa 1900-1939
- Library of Congress Asian Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.asian/asian.home
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of Congress Mangyan Bamboo Collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Asian Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Luyon. Nanganak Ti Mangyan. to 1939?, 1938. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2022685029/.
APA citation style:
Luyon. (1938) Nanganak Ti Mangyan. to 1939?. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2022685029/.
MLA citation style:
Luyon. Nanganak Ti Mangyan. to 1939?, 1938. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2022685029/>.