Book/Printed Material Walt Whitman
About this Item
- Walt Whitman
- Bucke, Richard Maurice, 1837-1902.
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892.
- Gilder, Jeannette L. (Jeannette Leonard), 1849-1916, former owner.
- Groves, John Stuart, former owner.
- Traubel, Horace, 1858-1919, former owner.
- Coyne, James H. (James Henry), 1849-1942, former owner.
Created / Published
- Philadelphia : David McKay, 1883.
- - Whitman, Walt,--1819-1892
- - Poets, American--19th century--Biography
- - "Whitman helped to write and edit this book"--Myerson.
- - BAL notes 2 printings: 1) advertisement leaf (naming G.P. Putnam's Sons as publisher of "Man's moral nature") is numbered 239-240; 2) same leaf is numbered 239 only, and does not include the name G.P. Putnam's Sons.
- - BAL 21424
- - Myerson, J. Whitman, p. 501
- - Also available in digital form.
- - Recat. to AACR2: vj15 09-19-96
- - LAC tnb 2019-08-28 no edits (8 cards)
- 240 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., facsim., geneal. tables, ports. ; 20 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- PS3231 .B8
- PS3231 .B8 Copy 2 Copyright deposit copy.
- PS3231 .B8 Copy 4 In paper wrapper. Inscribed by Jeannette L. Gilder.
- PS3231 .B8 Copy 5 Author's copy, signed by Walt Whitman. Bookplate of John Stuart Groves.
- PS3231 .B8 Copy 6 Inscribed by the author to Horace Traubel. In tan/brown quarter morocco slipcase.
- PS3231 .B8 Copy 7 Imperfect: p. 1-26+ wanting. With Walt Whitman's ms. corrections. In red quarter morocco slipcase.
- PS3231 .B8 1883b Variant. 239 p. Inscribed by author to L.M. Powers.
- PS3231 .B8 1883b Copy 2 Copy 2 of the above variant. 2 autograph notes by Whitman pasted on front endleaf.
- PS3231 .B8 1883b Copy 3 Copy 3 of the above variant. Inscribed by the author to James H. Coyne.In red quarter morocco solander box.
- PS3231 .B8 1883b Copy 4 Copy 4 of the above variant. Rebound in half vellum, marbled boards.
- PS3231 .B8 1883b Copy 5 Copy 5 of the above variant. "English critics on Walt Whitman", inscribed by Whitman, tipped in at end. Whitman autograph note, tipped in, reads: Special copy, not for sale. Autograph note of W.S. Kennedy laid in. Signed by Horace Traubel.
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bucke, Richard Maurice, Walt Whitman, Jeannette L Gilder, John Stuart Groves, Horace Traubel, and James H Coyne. Walt Whitman. Philadelphia: David McKay, 1883. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/30028216/.
APA citation style:
Bucke, R. M., Whitman, W., Gilder, J. L., Groves, J. S., Traubel, H. & Coyne, J. H. (1883) Walt Whitman. Philadelphia: David McKay. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/30028216/.
MLA citation style:
Bucke, Richard Maurice, et al. Walt Whitman. Philadelphia: David McKay, 1883. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/30028216/>.