Book/Printed Material Up and down California in 1860-1864 : the journal of William H. Brewer ...
About this Item
- Up and down California in 1860-1864 : the journal of William H. Brewer ...
- William Henry Brewer (1828-1910) was a professor of chemistry at Washington College in Pennsylvania when he joined the staff of California's first State Geologist, Josiah Dwight Whitney, 1860-1864. On returning east, Brewer became Professor of Agriculture at Yale, a post he held for nearly forty years. Up and down California (1930) collects Brewer's letters and journal entries recording his work with Whitney's geological survey of California, chronicling not merely the survey's scientific work but the social, agricultural, and economic life of the state from south to north as the survey's men passed along.
- Brewer, William Henry, 1828-1910.
- Farquhar, Francis P. (Francis Peloubet), 1887-1974.
Created / Published
- New Haven : Yale University Press ; London : H. Milford, Oxford University press, 1930.
- - California--Description and travel
- - California--Surveys
- - Natural history--California
- - Scientific expeditions
- - Agriculture--California
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC ecr 2019-06-03 update (1 card)
- xxx, 601 p. : front., plates, ports., map. ; 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F864 .B75
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication. No copyright renewal found.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Brewer, William Henry, and Francis P Farquhar. Up and down California in -1864: the journal of William H. Brewer. New Haven: Yale University Press ; London: H. Milford, Oxford University press, 1930. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/30029264/.
APA citation style:
Brewer, W. H. & Farquhar, F. P. (1930) Up and down California in -1864: the journal of William H. Brewer. New Haven: Yale University Press ; London: H. Milford, Oxford University press. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/30029264/.
MLA citation style:
Brewer, William Henry, and Francis P Farquhar. Up and down California in -1864: the journal of William H. Brewer. New Haven: Yale University Press ; London: H. Milford, Oxford University press, 1930. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/30029264/>.