Book/Printed Material California letters of Lucius Fairchild,
About this Item
- California letters of Lucius Fairchild,
- Lucius Fairchild (1831-1896) left Madison, Wisconsin, for California in 1849 and remained in the West until 1858. On his return to Wisconsin, Fairchild carved out a remarkable career as a soldier-politician: serving in a Wisconsin regiment in the Civil War, winning election as governor in 1866, and then representing the United States abroad in a variety of diplomatic posts. California letters of Lucius Fairchild (1931) records his overland journey to California, gold prospecting from Calaveras County to Scott Valley, business partnership with Elijah Steele in farming, mining, and butchering in Scott Valley.
- Fairchild, Lucius, 1831-1896.
- Schafer, Joseph, 1867-1941.
Created / Published
- Madison, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1931.
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - Frontier and pioneer life--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Bibliography: p. 200-203.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- xix p., 1 l., 212 p. plates, 2 port. (incl. front.) 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F576 .W81 vol. 31
- F576 .W81 vol. 31 Copy 2 Copy 2.
- F865 .F25 Copy 3.
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fairchild, Lucius, and Joseph Schafer. California letters of Lucius Fairchild. Madison, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1931. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/31033125/.
APA citation style:
Fairchild, L. & Schafer, J. (1931) California letters of Lucius Fairchild. Madison, State Historical Society of Wisconsin. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/31033125/.
MLA citation style:
Fairchild, Lucius, and Joseph Schafer. California letters of Lucius Fairchild. Madison, State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1931. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/31033125/>.