Book/Printed Material Recollections of a long and somewhat uneventful life,
About this Item
- Recollections of a long and somewhat uneventful life,
- Stephen Allen Bemis (1828-1919) left Massachusetts for Chicago, Illinois, in 1846 and spent the years 1852-1854 and 1860-1867 in California. Recollections of a long and somewhat uneventful life (1932) are Bemis's reminiscences of his 1852 trip to California and Panama crossing but shed little light on his first stay in the West. He provides more details of his second California residence: an overland crossing driving a herd of livestock in 1860, reunion with his wife and children in San Francisco, where he tried a variety of businesses, and his 1867 removal to St. Louis.
- Bemis, Stephen A. (Stephen Allen), 1828-1919.
- Bemis, Judson Stephen, 1867-
Created / Published
- St. Louis, Mo., Priv. print. for the members of his family, 1932.
- - Women--California
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Introduction signed Judson S. Bemis.
- - "Antecedents and descendants": p. 89-92.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 92 p. front., ports., facsim. 21 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .B42
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication. No copyright renewal found.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bemis, Stephen A, and Judson Stephen Bemis. Recollections of a Long and Somewhat Uneventful Life. St. Louis, Mo., Priv. print. for the members of his family, 1932. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/32011901/.
APA citation style:
Bemis, S. A. & Bemis, J. S. (1932) Recollections of a Long and Somewhat Uneventful Life. St. Louis, Mo., Priv. print. for the members of his family. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/32011901/.
MLA citation style:
Bemis, Stephen A, and Judson Stephen Bemis. Recollections of a Long and Somewhat Uneventful Life. St. Louis, Mo., Priv. print. for the members of his family, 1932. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/32011901/>.