Book/Printed Material Os Lusiadas de Luiz de Camões ...
About this Item
- Os Lusiadas de Luiz de Camões ...
- Os Lusíadas (The Lusiads) is the national epic of Portugal. Written by the poet, soldier, and sailor Luís de Camões (circa 1524-80) and first published in 1572, it celebrates the great Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama (1469-1524) and the achievements of Portugal (known during the Roman Empire as the province of Lusitania, hence the title) and its people in venturing out into the Atlantic, rounding the tip of Africa, and forging a path to the East Indies. Manuel de Faria e Sousa (1590-1649) was a Portuguese historian and poet who spent much of his life in Madrid. Faria e Sousa wrote, in Spanish, a long commentary on Os Lusíadas, most of which was published after his death. Presented here is a 19th-century translation into Portuguese, in manuscript, of Faria e Sousa's commentary. The translation is by Manuel Nunes Godinho (circa 1816-82); the calligraphy by Domingos Nunes Godinho. The manuscript is from the library of the Brazilian-Portuguese scholar, collector, and bibliophile Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro (1848-1920), which was purchased by the Library of Congress after his death. World Digital Library.
- Camões, Luís de, 1524?-1580.
- Faria e Sousa, Manuel de, 1590-1649.
- Godinho, Manuel Nunes, 1817?-1882.
Created / Published
- [Porto, Lisboa, 18-]
- - "Este manuscripto original do seculo XIX ... é enriquecido com annotações de alguns outros commentadores, desenhos originaes &, e é propriedade de Antonio Augusto de Carvalho Monteiro."
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC tnb 2019-11-18 update (1 card)
- 4 v. illus. (incl. coats of arms) ports. 46 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- PQ9198 .A15
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Camões, Luís De, 1524?-1580, Manuel De Faria E Sousa, and Manuel Nunes Godinho. Os Lusiadas de Luiz de Camões. [Porto, Lisboa, 18, 1800] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/33032639/.
APA citation style:
Camões, L. D., Faria E Sousa, M. D. & Godinho, M. N. (1800) Os Lusiadas de Luiz de Camões. [Porto, Lisboa, 18] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/33032639/.
MLA citation style:
Camões, Luís De, 1524?-1580, Manuel De Faria E Sousa, and Manuel Nunes Godinho. Os Lusiadas de Luiz de Camões. [Porto, Lisboa, 18, 1800] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/33032639/>.