Book/Printed Material A pioneer at Sutter's fort, 1846-1850; the adventures of Heinrich Lienhard ...
About this Item
- A pioneer at Sutter's fort, 1846-1850; the adventures of Heinrich Lienhard ...
- Heinrich Lienhard (1822-1903), son of a Swiss farmer, sailed for America in 1843. After three years in the Midwest, Lienhard and four other young European immigrants set off by wagon for California, reaching Johann Sutter's New Helvetia in October 1846. After a few months in the U.S. Army, Lienhard returned to Sutter's settlement. In 1849 Lienhard returned to Switzerland to accompany Sutter's family to the New World. Disillusioned by the changed California he found in early 1850, Lienhard returned to Switzerland in July. A pioneer at Sutter's fort (1941) is based on a diary kept in his years in California and focuses on Johann Sutter, his family, and his settlement on the Sacramento. It also covers Lienhard's experiences as a farmer and a miner and his crossings of Panama and the Atlantic in 1849-1850.
- Lienhard, Heinrich, 1822-1903.
- Wilbur, Marguerite Eyer, 1889-
Created / Published
- Los Angeles, The Calafía society, 1941.
- - California--Description and travel
- - California--Gold discoveries
- - Ethnic groups--California
- - Agriculture--California
- - Business--California
- - Map on lining-papers.
- - A German edition was published in Switzerland in 1898 under title: California unmittelbar vor und nach der entdeckung des goldes. cf. p. xiv.
- - Bibliography: p. 276-277.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 3 p.l., xix p., 1 l., 291 p. front. (facsim.) plates, ports. 26 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .L72
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication. No copyright renewal found.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lienhard, Heinrich, and Marguerite Eyer Wilbur. A pioneer at Sutter's fort, -1850; the adventures of Heinrich Lienhard. Los Angeles, The Calafía society, 1941. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/42011300/.
APA citation style:
Lienhard, H. & Wilbur, M. E. (1941) A pioneer at Sutter's fort, -1850; the adventures of Heinrich Lienhard. Los Angeles, The Calafía society. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/42011300/.
MLA citation style:
Lienhard, Heinrich, and Marguerite Eyer Wilbur. A pioneer at Sutter's fort, -1850; the adventures of Heinrich Lienhard. Los Angeles, The Calafía society, 1941. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/42011300/>.