Book/Printed Material Recollections of California, 1846-1861
About this Item
- Recollections of California, 1846-1861
- William Tecumseh Sherman (1820-1891) of Ohio won military fame as one of the greatest Union generals in the Civil War. His association with California began when he served as an aide to Generals Philip Kearny and Richard Barnes Mason during the Mexican War. He remained in California as an adjutant to General Persifor Smith. Sherman's military tour in California ended in January 1850, but he resigned his Army commission in 1853 and returned to California as manager of a new bank. Barring a brief trip east to bring his wife and daughter to their new home in San Francisco, Sherman remained until 1857. Recollections of California (1945) contains extracts from Sherman's published Memoirs dealing with his life in California as well as two letters written by Sherman from Monterey in 1848. These cover his voyage round the Horn and landing in Monterey and military missions to Los Angeles and San Francisco. He discusses the Army's problems of establishing military rule and recalls the discovery of gold, which transformed the military mission and his own life. Sherman chronicles his part in Governor Mason's historic inspection trip to the gold fields near Sutter's Fort in 1848 as well as his own business ventures of the time: a store at Coloma, surveying a channel through Suisan Bay, a ranch at Cosumnes River, and Sacramento land speculations. He describes San Francisco and the flood of immigrants to California, 1848-1849. From his later residence, he recalls the bank run of 1855 and the Vigilance Committee crisis of 1856. The excerpts end with Sherman's recollections of his life as attorney and educator, 1857-1861, before the Civil War called him back to military life.
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891.
Created / Published
- Oakland, Calif., Biobooks, 1945.
- - California--History
- - Urbanization--California
- - Real estate development--California
- - Law--Political aspects--California
- - Mines and mineral resources--California
- - Business--California
- - "Presented unedited from the first Appleton printing of his 'Memoirs'"--Foreword.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 3 p.l., 147 p., 1 l. facsims. (part fold., incl. map) 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- F865 .S548
Library of Congress Control Number
- No known restrictions on publication. No copyright renewal found.
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
"California as I Saw It:" First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900.
General Notice and Restriction Statement: The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in this collection, some content may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.), and/or the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, [appropriate source division as described in the bibliographic record]. For example: Library of Congress, General Collections; or, Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sherman, William T. Recollections of California, -1861. Oakland, Calif., Biobooks, 1945. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/45007048/.
APA citation style:
Sherman, W. T. (1945) Recollections of California, -1861. Oakland, Calif., Biobooks. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/45007048/.
MLA citation style:
Sherman, William T. Recollections of California, -1861. Oakland, Calif., Biobooks, 1945. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/45007048/>.