Book/Printed Material The dancing-master; or, Directions for dancing country-dances with the tunes to each dance, for the treble-violin. Vol. the 2d Directions for dancing country-dances
About this Item
- The dancing-master; or, Directions for dancing country-dances with the tunes to each dance, for the treble-violin. Vol. the 2d
- Other Title
- Directions for dancing country-dances
- Created / Published
- Printed by W. Pearson and sold by J. Young, London, 1728, monographic.
- Subject Headings
- - Dance -- England -- Handbooks, manuals, etc -- Early works to 1800
- - Country-dances
- - Violin music
- - Dance Instruction and Technical Manuals
- - Notation for Dance
- - Music for Dance
- - First ed. published 1650 by John Playford under title: The English dancing-master.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images. (additional physical form)
- electronic resource
- 360 p. 12 x 21 cm.
- Music Division
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- Book. print | 360 p. 12 x 21 cm. | First ed. published 1650 by John Playford under title: The English dancing-master. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as facsimile page images. (Additional Physical Form). Print (Form). Electronic Resource (Form). Remote (Form).
- Original Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the materials in this collection.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
The accompanying videos were produced by the Library of Congress. Note Video Performers for additional credits for video performers.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Performers for the October 1997 Great Hall event: Dancers
Members of The Jonquil Street Foundation, Inc. Ariane Anthony, Thomas Baird, Barbara Barr, Patricia Beaman, Christopher Caines, Charles Garth, James Martin, Maris Wolff. Musicians - members of The Library of Congress Centennial Cotillion Brass Band, Emerson Head and Robert Sheldon, Leaders (Members, Metro Washington D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161-710, AFM.)
Performers for the Coolidge Auditorium clips: Dancers
Cheryl Stafford and Thomas Baird. Musicians - Boris Gurevitch (piano), Susan Manus (violin).
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The dancing-master; or, Directions for dancing country-dances with the tunes to each dance, for the treble-violin. Vol. the 2d. Printed by W. Pearson and sold by J. Young, London, monographic, 1728. Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/45027913/.
APA citation style:
(1728) The dancing-master; or, Directions for dancing country-dances with the tunes to each dance, for the treble-violin. Vol. the 2d. Printed by W. Pearson and sold by J. Young, London, monographic. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/45027913/.
MLA citation style:
The dancing-master; or, Directions for dancing country-dances with the tunes to each dance, for the treble-violin. Vol. the 2d. Printed by W. Pearson and sold by J. Young, London, monographic, 1728. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/45027913/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialThe dancing master; or, Directions for dancing country dances with the tunes to each dance, for ...
Directions for dancing country dances Book. print | 2 v. in 1. 11 x 20 cm. | Vol. 2, 2d ed., has imprint: Printed for H. Playford, 1698. First ed. published 1651 [i.e. 1650] under title: The...
- Contributor: Playford, Henry - Playford, John - Printed by J. Heptinstall, for H. Playford
- Date: 1698
Book/Printed MaterialErweiterung der Kunst nach der Chorographie zu tanzen, Tänze zu erfinden, und aufzusetzen; wie auch Anweisung ... Originally published in 1767 under the title Die Kunst nach der Choregraphie zu Tänze, Feldtenstein's manual utilizes text and tables to describe basic steps. The work includes figures for country dances and...
- Contributor: Feldtenstein, C. J. Von
- Date: 1772
Book/Printed MaterialLe répertoire des bals, ou Theorie-pratique des contredanses, décrites d'une maniere aisée avec des figures démonstratives ...
Theorie-pratique des contredanses This is a bound collection of contredanses, figured group dances for four or more couples that were popular during the last half of the eighteenth century. Each dance is described on four...
- Contributor: La Cuisse (Sr. De) - Cailleau [Etc.] - La Cuisse
- Date: 1762
Book/Printed MaterialFor the furthur improvement of dancing : a treatis of chorography or ye art of dancing ...
Treatis of chorography | Art of dancing country dances after a new character This is a translation of Raoul-Auger Feuillet's treatise Recueil de contredances mises ... (Paris, 1706), by English dance, dancing master, and writer John Essex. Through the use of diagrams, the manual gives...
- Contributor: Essex, John - Sold by I. Walsh & P. Randall ... I. Hare ... I. Culen ... & by Ye Author - Feuillet, Raoul-Auger
- Date: 1710
Book/Printed MaterialOrchesography; or, The art of dancing by characters and demonstrative figures Wherein the whole art is ...
Orchesography | Art of dancing by characters and demonstrative figures | Art of dancing Book. print | 3 p.l., 120 p. diagrs. 27 cm. | Being an exact and just translation from the French of Monsieur Feuillet. By John Weaver, dancing master. (Statement Of Responsibility). Engraved...
- Contributor: Isaac - Weaver, John - Printed For, & Sold by Ino. Walsh - Feuillet, Raoul-Auger
- Date: 1715