Book/Printed Material The game and playe of the chesse.
About this Item
- The game and playe of the chesse.
- Jacobus, de Cessolis, active 1288-1322.
- Jean de Vignay, active 14th century [from old catalog]
- Caxton, William, approximately 1422-1491 or 1492.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [Bruges, William Caxton, after 31 Mar. 1474]
- - Chess--Early works to 1800
- - Title extracted from statement on leaf [2a] which states: ... a lityll book ... in which I fynde thauctorites, dictes, and stories of ... wyse men ... applied vnto the moralite of the publique wele ... after the game and playe of the chesse.
- - Translated by Caxton from the French version of Jean de Vignay.
- - Goff C-413
- - Hain-Copinger 4902 (variation)
- - BM 15th cent., IX, p. 130 (IB.49432)
- - GW 6532 (variation)
- - Ricci, S. de. Census of Caxtons, 1; 4
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 511
- - LC copy: cf. Ricci for binding and provenance.
-  leaves (the first and last blank, wanting). 27 cm. (fol.)
Call Number/Physical Location
- Incun. X .C4 GV1442
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jacobus, De Cessolis, Active, Active 14Th Century Jean De Vignay, William Caxton, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. The Game and Playe of the Chesse. [Bruges, William Caxton, after 31 Mar, 1474] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/48032151/.
APA citation style:
Jacobus, D. C., Jean De Vignay, A. 1. C., Caxton, W. & Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1474) The Game and Playe of the Chesse. [Bruges, William Caxton, after 31 Mar] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/48032151/.
MLA citation style:
Jacobus, De Cessolis, Active, et al. The Game and Playe of the Chesse. [Bruges, William Caxton, after 31 Mar, 1474] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/48032151/>.