Book/Printed Material Ars vitae contemplativae.
About this Item
- Ars vitae contemplativae.
- Hybrid block book. This copy is illustrated with two leaves of images and text printed in block-book format. The xylographic illustrations contain 12 vignettes depicting lessons from the bible colored by contemporary hand. Initials and paragraph marks supplied are red or blue.
- Creussner, Friedrich, active 1472-1499, printer.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [Nuremberg, Friedrich Creussner] 1473.
- Ars & modus conte[m]platiue vite.--Modus meditandi in generali.--Ars memoratiua.--Ars siue mod[us] p[rae]dica[n]di a Sancto Thoma de Aquino [com]posita, necno[n] alio[rum] sacro[rum] docto[rum] scripturis p[er]lustrata.--Modus formandi arborem.
- - Meditation--Early works to 1800
- - Block books--Specimens
- - Germany--Nuremberg
- - Leaves [1-4] and [31-32], with text and illus., are printed xylographically.
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 46
- - Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, A-1140
- - Hain, L. Repertorium bibliographicum, 1822
- - Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 2672
- - LC copy: illus. hand-colored; initials and paragraph marks supplied in red or blue. Has inscription on leaf [1v]: Fr: V.P.N.P.N. F.V.S.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
-  leaves ( and  blank, wanting) woodcuts. 28 cm. (fol.)
Call Number/Physical Location
- Incun. 1473 .A7
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Creussner, Friedrich, Active , Printer, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Ars Vitae Contemplativae. [Nuremberg, Friedrich Creussner, 1473] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/48036725/.
APA citation style:
Creussner, F. & Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1473) Ars Vitae Contemplativae. [Nuremberg, Friedrich Creussner] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/48036725/.
MLA citation style:
Creussner, Friedrich, Active , Printer, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Ars Vitae Contemplativae. [Nuremberg, Friedrich Creussner, 1473] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/48036725/>.