Book/Printed Material A book of the chesse moralysed.
About this Item
- A book of the chesse moralysed.
- Jacobus, de Cessolis, active 1288-1322.
- Jean, de Vignay, approximately 1284-, attributed name.
- Caxton, William, approximately 1422-1491 or 1492, printer, translator.
- Newton, A. Edward (Alfred Edward), 1864-1940, former owner.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [Westminster] William Caxton [1482?]
- - Chess--Early works to 1800
- - Title extracted from leaf [2a], line 14: ... anexcellent doctour of dyuynyte in the Royame of Fraunce of the Ordre of Thospytal of Saynt Johns of Jherusalem ... hath made a book of the chesse moralysed.
- - Attributed by Caxton to Jean de Vignay, whose French version he translated into English.
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 558
- - Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, C-414
- - Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 4901
- - Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 6533
- - Ricci, S. de. Census of Caxtons, 18
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LC copy imperfect: leaf  wanting; leaf  in facsim.
- - LC copy: Provenance: A. Edward Newton (bookplate). Also has book label "Milton, Peterborough" mounted on front paste-down.
-  leaves (the first blank). woodcuts: 24 illus. 27.5 cm. (fol.)
Call Number/Physical Location
- Incun. X .C42
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jacobus, De Cessolis, Active, De Vignay Jean, A. Edward Newton, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. A Book of the Chesse Moralysed. translateds by Caxton, William, Approximately Or 1492, Printerlator [Westminster William Caxton ?, 1482] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/48043293/.
APA citation style:
Jacobus, D. C., Jean, D. V., Newton, A. E. & Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1482) A Book of the Chesse Moralysed. Caxton, W., trans [Westminster William Caxton ?] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/48043293/.
MLA citation style:
Jacobus, De Cessolis, Active, et al. A Book of the Chesse Moralysed. trans by Caxton, William, Approximately Or 1492, Printerlator [Westminster William Caxton ?, 1482] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/48043293/>.