Book/Printed Material Selective service act of 1948
About this Item
- Selective service act of 1948
- United States. Congress. Conference Committees, 1948
- Andrews, Walter Gresham, 1889-1949
- Gurney, Chan, 1896-1985
Created / Published
- [Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1948]
- - Draft--United States
- - Caption title.
- - On June 19, 1948, the committee of conference chaired by House Armed Services Committee Chairman Walter Andrews issued this conference report, H.Rep.No. 80-2438. The Elston bill (H.R. 2575), which was to revise the provisions dealing with courts-martial in the Articles of War and which had been delayed in the Senate from January to June 1948, was incorporated as Title II of the Selective Service Act, the measure that established the first postwar draft in American history. When President Harry Truman signed the Selective Service Act of 1948 on June 24, the amendments to the Articles of War became law (the Elston Act, Pub. L. No. 80-759, 62 Stat. 604, 627-44 (1948)). W.G. Andrews, W. Sterling Cole, George J. Bates, Carl Vinson, Paul J. Kilday and Carl T. Durham signed on the part of the House. Chan Gurney, Leverett Saltonstall, Wayne Morse, Millard E. Tydings, and Harry F. Byrd signed on the part of the Senate.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- 51 p. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- UB343 .A5 1948c
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any copyright restrictions in the Military Legal Resources collection. Absent such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers should watch for modern documents (for example, foreign works and works published in the United States less than 95 years ago, or unpublished if the author died less than 70 years ago) that may be copyrighted. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
The Library of Congress provides access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes.
Credit line: Law Library of Congress, Military Legal Resources
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Congress. Conference Committees, 1948, Walter Gresham Andrews, and Chan Gurney. Selective Service Act of. [Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off, 1948] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/48046581/.
APA citation style:
United States Congress. Conference Committees, 1., Andrews, W. G. & Gurney, C. (1948) Selective Service Act of. [Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/48046581/.
MLA citation style:
United States Congress. Conference Committees, 1948, Walter Gresham Andrews, and Chan Gurney. Selective Service Act of. [Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off, 1948] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/48046581/>.