Book/Printed Material [Book of hours].
About this Item
- [Book of hours].
- The Book of Hours was a prayer book for the laity that developed in late medieval Europe and that was used for private devotion. These works were often personalized for individual patrons and illuminated with miniature paintings depicting the life of Christ, the Virgin Mary, and individual saints. The text included a calendar of liturgical feast days and a series of prayers to be recited eight times a day, according to established practice. By the early Renaissance period the popularity of the Book of Hours demonstrated the growing interest of the laity in speaking directly with God and the saints, rather than exclusively through the church and the ordained clergy. This manuscript Book of Hours from early 16th century France was written on vellum skin and includes 16 large and 26 small miniature paintings highlighted in gold and painted with rich primary colors. It is embellished with headings and paragraph marks in blue and red ink, and is written in delicate Roman letters of the highest quality. Both the text and the illuminations are ascribed to the Parisian workshop of Geoffroy Tory. World Digital Library.
- This superb French Book of Hours, written in a fine roman script on 113 leaves of pure white vellum, has been attributed to the French miniaturist, calligrapher, and printer, Geoffroy Tory. The manuscript contains sixteen full page miniatures, twenty-six small miniatures of the evangelists and saints, and sixteen illuminated borders. The date 1524 appears in a shield located in the gold border surrounding one of the large miniatures, and it has been assumed that the volume was executed in that year. The large miniatures are brilliantly colored and filled with a wealth of detail and the landscapes and interiors are delicately executed. Former owners of this distinguished manuscript include Girardot de Préfond, Duc de la Vallière, William Beckford, Robert Hoe, and Cortland F. Bishop.
- Catholic Church.
- Beckford, William, 1760-1844, former owner.
- Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field), 1870-1935, former owner.
- Bure, Guillaume-François de, 1731-1782, former owner.
- Guyot de Villeneuve, François Gustave Adolphe, 1825-1898, former owner.
- Hoe, Robert, 1839-1909, former owner.
- Tory, Geoffroy, approximately 1480-approximately 1533, attributed name.
- Derôme. binder.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- - Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- - Books of hours--Texts--Early works to 1800
- - Illumination of books and manuscripts, French--Washington (D.C.)
- - Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern)--Washington (D.C.)
- Bookbinding (Binding)--DLC
- - Eighteenth-century French binding in the manner of Derôme.
- - In Latin.
- - Leaf [Ia] KL Ianuarius habet dies xxxi; calendar ens on leaf [6b]; leaf [8a]: Initium sancti euangelii secundum Ioannem; leaf [113b]: per omnia secula seculoru[m] Amen.
- - Miniature on leaf [79b] dated 1524.
- - Ms. written and decorated in Touraine? At one time erroneously attributed to Geoffroy Tory.
- - Library of Congress. Medieval and Renaissance ms. bks., 52
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 14
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection (1954) 10
- - Ricci, S. de. Medieval and Renaissance mss. (suppl.), p. 124, no. 157
- - Ricci, S. de. Medieval and Renaissance mss., p. 1656, no. 9
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Gift of Lessing J. Rosenwald. Former owners: Paul Girardot de Préfond; Louis Jean Gaignat; Guillaume François Debure; Louis César, duc de La Vallière; William Beckford; F.G.A. Guyot de Villeneuve; Robert Hoe; Cortlandt F. Bishop.
- - Form AACR2: vj46 12-04-91
- - LAC knj 2019-09-04 no edits (1 card)
- - LAC ael 2022-02-15 update (1 card)
- - LAC ddw 2022-04-25 update (1 card)
- 113 leaves (23 lines (calendar 33 lines)), bound : parchment, col. ill. ; 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- Rosenwald ms. no. 10
- BX2080 .A2 1524
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Beckford, William
- Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field)
- Bure, Guillaume-François De
- Catholic Church
- Guyot De Villeneuve, François Gustave Adolphe
- Hoe, Robert
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Tory, Geoffroy
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Catholic Church, William Beckford, Cortlandt F Bishop, Guillaume-François De Bure, François Gustave Adolphe Guyot De Villeneuve, Robert Hoe, Geoffroy Tory, Derôme. Binder, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Book of Hours. 1524. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/50041712/.
APA citation style:
Catholic Church, Beckford, W., Bishop, C. F., Bure, G. D., Guyot De Villeneuve, F. G. A., Hoe, R. [...] Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1524) Book of Hours. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/50041712/.
MLA citation style:
Catholic Church, et al. Book of Hours. 1524. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/50041712/>.