Book/Printed Material Voyage en Éthiopie, au Soudan oriental et dans la Nigritie. Ouvrage accompagné d'un atlas de planches.
About this Item
- Voyage en Éthiopie, au Soudan oriental et dans la Nigritie. Ouvrage accompagné d'un atlas de planches.
- Pierre Trémaux (1818-95) was a French architect, traveler, photographer, and amateur scientist who, in 1847-48, voyaged up the Nile to Nubia, Ethiopia, and eastern Sudan. Trémaux described the geology, flora and fauna, architectural monuments, and people of these countries in several works published in France in the 1850s and early 1860s. Some scholars consider his descriptions and sketches of Lower Nubia to be especially valuable, since much of this area now is covered by Lake Nubia, the extension into Sudan of Lake Nasser, created when the Aswan High Dam was built in the 1960s. Trémaux was less successful as a scientist than as a traveler and photographer. In 1865 he published a book, Origine et transformations de l'homme et des autres êtres (Origin and transformations of man and other beings), which propounded the absurd thesis that the nature of the soil determined national characteristics and that higher civilizations tend to arise in regions with complex soils. World Digital Library.
- Trémaux, P. (Pierre)
Created / Published
- Paris : L. Hachette, 1862-
- t.1. Égypte et Éthiopie.--t.2. Le Soudan.
- - Ethiopia--Description and travel
- - Sudan--Description and travel
- - Atlas catalogued separately: Trémaux, Pierre. Voyages au Soudan oriental et dans l'Afrique septentriionale. [1852-58], with call number: L963,T789v, in: afri,rb.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - digital files not viewed; td12 2008-11-5
- 2 v. ; 23 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DT123 .T7
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Trémaux, P. Voyage en Éthiopie, au Soudan oriental et dans la Nigritie. Ouvrage accompagné d'un atlas de planches. [Paris: L. Hachette, -63, 1862] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/51050555/.
APA citation style:
Trémaux, P. (1862) Voyage en Éthiopie, au Soudan oriental et dans la Nigritie. Ouvrage accompagné d'un atlas de planches. [Paris: L. Hachette, -63] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/51050555/.
MLA citation style:
Trémaux, P. Voyage en Éthiopie, au Soudan oriental et dans la Nigritie. Ouvrage accompagné d'un atlas de planches. [Paris: L. Hachette, -63, 1862] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/51050555/>.