Book/Printed Material Biblia Latina. Gutenberg Bible
About this Item
- Biblia Latina.
- Gutenberg Bible
Created / Published
- [Mainz, Printer of the 42-line Bible (Johann Gutenberg) between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456]
-  Liber Genesis-Liber IV Esdrae.-- Liber Tobiae-Prophetia Ezechielis.-- Prophetia Danielis-Apocalypsis Beati Ioannis Apostoli.
- - Germany--Rhineland-Palatinate--Mainz
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Goff B-526
- - Hain 3031
- - GW 4201
- - Schwenke, P. Johannes Gutenbergs 42-zeilige Bibel, no. 12 (p. 10) and p. 23, 25, 41, 48
- - LC copy on vellum. Leaf [192a] presents numerous variants from the facsim. ed. of the Berlin copy (Leipzig, Insel-Verlag, 1913-14). Leaves -[32a], - and [486a] are of the second printing. Chapter headings on leaves [1a], [4a], [5a], [12a] and [129b] printed in red; other chapter headings and chapter numbering supplied by hand in red; initial-strokes supplied in red on leaves - and on a few other scattered leaves; headlines in alternating red and blue; initials in red or blue, some of the larger ones in red and blue, a few with ornaments extending to the margin. Signatures in ms., generally cut off, catchword on leaf [125b]. Bound in 3 v.: 16th cent. blind stamped white pigskin; one of the rolls used dated 1560. Formerly in the Benedictine Abbey of St. Blasius in the Black Forest (with its bookplate in each vol.), after 1809 in the Benedictine Abbey of St. Paul in Carinthia; acquired by LC through Otto H.F. Vollbehr in 1930.
- - Formerly classified: Incun 1454 .B5.
-  leaves (, wanting, and  blank) 42.5 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- BS75 1454
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- The Giant Bible of Mainz : A Resource Guide
- The Gutenberg Bible at the Library of Congress : A Resource Guide
- Renaissance Era: A Resource Guide
- Vollbehr (Selected Special Collections: Rare Book and Special Collections Reading Room, Library of Congress)
- Introducing Library of Congress Story Maps!
- Alphabet Venture
- The Man Behind the Bible: Johannes Gutenberg's Life of "Adventure and Art"
- Today in History - May 7
- Rare Book Selections
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456, 1454] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/52002339/.
APA citation style:
(1454) Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/52002339/.
MLA citation style:
Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456, 1454] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/52002339/>.