Book/Printed Material The Constitution of India.
About this Item
- The Constitution of India.
- This book is one of 1,000 photolithographic reproductions of the Constitution of the Republic of India, which came into effect on January 26, 1950, after being approved by the Constituent Assembly on November 26, 1949. The original of this elaborate edition took nearly five years to produce. It is signed by the framers of the constitution, most of whom are regarded as the founders of the Republic of India. The original of the book is kept in a special helium-filled case in the Library of the Parliament of India. The illustrations represent styles from the different civilizations of the subcontinent, ranging from the prehistoric Mohenjodaro, in the Indus Valley, to the present. The calligraphy in the book was done by Prem Behari Narain Raizda. It was illuminated by Nandalal Bose and other artists, published by Dehra Dun, and photolithographed at the Survey of India Offices. World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- [Dehra Dun : Photolithographed at the Survey of India Offices, 195-]
- - Constitutions--India
- - "List of illustrations": leaf inserted.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Formerly shelved under: LAW (Office Gt. Brit. India 1>.
- 230 l. illus., ports. 43 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- KNS1744.5195 .A6 1950
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
India. The Constitution of India. [Dehra Dun: Photolithographed at the Survey of India Offices, 195, 1950] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/57026883/.
APA citation style:
India. (1950) The Constitution of India. [Dehra Dun: Photolithographed at the Survey of India Offices, 195] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/57026883/.
MLA citation style:
India. The Constitution of India. [Dehra Dun: Photolithographed at the Survey of India Offices, 195, 1950] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/57026883/>.