Book/Printed Material Patmutʻiwn hayotsʻ : I skzbaně ashkharhi minchʻew tsʻam teaṛn 1784 : ěst awandeloy ayleayl matenagratsʻ
About this Item
- Patmutʻiwn hayotsʻ : I skzbaně ashkharhi minchʻew tsʻam teaṛn 1784 : ěst awandeloy ayleayl matenagratsʻ
- Mik'ayel Ch'amch'yants' was born in Istanbul in 1738. After training and working as a jeweler in his native city, in 1762 he joined the Armenian Catholic Mekhitarist order at the St. Lazar Monastery in Venice. Founded by Abbott Mekhitar (1676-1749) in 1700, the Mekhitarists were dedicated to the religious, cultural, and literary revival of Armenia, which at the time was under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. Ch'amch'yants' was appointed instructor in the Armenian language at St. Lazar in 1774, and in 1784 he published the first volume of History of Armenia from the beginning of the world to the year 1784, bringing out the final volume in 1786. Written in chronicle style and liberally employing and analyzing non-Armenian primary source materials, this three-volume, 3,000-page work was the first critical examination of the history of the Armenian people. In 1811 Ch'amch'yants' prepared an abridged version of his history, which was translated into English and published in India in 1827. His work exercised a great influence on Armenian studies and Orientalism throughout the 19th century and is still recognized by specialists as a classic in the field. In 1795, Ch'amch'yants' was appointed the resident Mekhitarist representative in Istanbul, where he died in 1823. World Digital Library.
- Chʻamchʻyantsʻ, Mikʻayel, 1736-1823
Created / Published
- I Venetik : I Tp-i Petrosi Vaghvaziantsʻ, 1784-86.
- v. 1. Patmuikʻ erktsʻ grotsʻ handerdz iwreantsʻ tsanotʻubkʻ: skseal hadamay michʻe tsʻam tn: 441.-- v. 2. Patmuikʻ erd ew chʻrrd trotsʻ handerdz iwreantsʻ tsanotʻubkʻ: sksel hamē ts: 441 minchʻe 'i 1080.-- v. 3. Patmuikʻ hingerd ew vetsʻerd trotsʻ sksel hamē tn: 1080 minchʻe 'i 1784. Ew aghisakkʻ zhmkagrue.
- - Armenia--History
- - LC copy imperfect: v. 1, p. 308 wanting. A photostatic reproduction of these pages has been inserted.
- - Vol. 3 has imprint: I Venetik, I Tparani Hovhannu Pʻiatsʻiantsʻ
- - Includes bibliographical references.
- - Also available in digital form.
- 3 v. : ill., col. map ; 26 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DS175 .C43
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
ChʻAmchʻYantsʻ, MikʻAyel. Patmutʻiwn hayotsʻ: I skzbaně ashkharhi minchʻew tsʻam teaṛn: ěst awandeloy ayleayl matenagratsʻ. I Venetik: I Tp-i Petrosi Vaghvaziantsʻ, -86, 1784. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/70232039/.
APA citation style:
ChʻAmchʻYantsʻ, M. (1784) Patmutʻiwn hayotsʻ: I skzbaně ashkharhi minchʻew tsʻam teaṛn: ěst awandeloy ayleayl matenagratsʻ. I Venetik: I Tp-i Petrosi Vaghvaziantsʻ, -86. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/70232039/.
MLA citation style:
ChʻAmchʻYantsʻ, MikʻAyel. Patmutʻiwn hayotsʻ: I skzbaně ashkharhi minchʻew tsʻam teaṛn: ěst awandeloy ayleayl matenagratsʻ. I Venetik: I Tp-i Petrosi Vaghvaziantsʻ, -86, 1784. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/70232039/>.