Book/Printed Material Magyar László délafrikai utazásai 1849-57. években. A Magy.
About this Item
- Magyar László délafrikai utazásai 1849-57. években. A Magy.
- László Magyar (1814-64) was a Hungarian explorer who lived for 17 years in Angola and made important contributions to the study of the geography and ethnography of equatorial Africa. He was trained as a naval officer and served in the naval forces of Austria and Argentina. In 1846, he undertook his first expedition in Africa, a voyage up the Congo River. Magyar subsequently married a daughter of the King of Bihé and used his family connections to gain access to interior regions of the continent. Accompanied by a royal guard, between 1849 and 1857 he made six voyages to the sources of the Congo and Zambezi rivers, regions at that time still very difficult for Europeans to visit. He completed three volumes of geographical and ethnographic observations, with a focus on the Kimbundu people of present-day Angola. One volume was published in Hungary, but the manuscripts of the other two volumes, along with Magyar's journals, were lost, most likely destroyed in a warehouse fire after his death. Shown here is the original Hungarian edition of Magyar's surviving work. World Digital Library.
- Magyar, László, 1818-1864.
- Hunfalvy, János, 1820-1888, ed.
Created / Published
- Pest, Eggenberger F., 1859.
- - South Africa--Description and travel
- - No more published.
- - Bibliography: p. xiii-xvi.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - digital files not viewed; td12 2008-11-24
- xvi, 461 p. fold. map., plates. 24 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DT731 .M22
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Magyar, László. Magyar László délafrikai utazásai -57. években. A Magy. editeds by Hunfalvy, János Pest, Eggenberger F, 1859. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/70257925/.
APA citation style:
Magyar, L., Hunfalvy, J., ed. (1859) Magyar László délafrikai utazásai -57. években. A Magy. Pest, Eggenberger F. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/70257925/.
MLA citation style:
Magyar, László. Magyar László délafrikai utazásai -57. években. A Magy. ed by Hunfalvy, János Pest, Eggenberger F, 1859. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/70257925/>.