Map A Map of the country round Philadelphia including part of New Jersey, New York, Staten Island, & Long Island.
About this Item
- A Map of the country round Philadelphia including part of New Jersey, New York, Staten Island, & Long Island.
- "This map of eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the area around New York City originally was published in The Gentleman's Magazine of September 1776. The American colonies had declared their independence two months earlier and were in revolt against the British crown, so the conflict in North America was of keen interest to readers of this popular London monthly. An accompanying article explained: "It [the map] comprehends that part of America which is now the chief object of the British arms. Should New-York be suddenly reduced, it is more than probable that Philadelphia will be next attacked, as the distance from one city to the other is little more than four days march, or fourscore miles, the road good; and if the main army under Gen. Washington is defeated, little or no opposition is to be dreaded. Indeed, a defeat will, in all probability, put an end to the opposition; for, as the Provincial army is now situated, should they be vanquished, few of them can escape." The British occupied New York and, as the article predicted, moved toward Philadelphia. But Washington was able to retreat from New York and win victories at Trenton on December 26, 1776, and at Princeton on January 3, 1777, keeping his army intact and fighting for another six years until independence was secured." World Digital Library.
Created / Published
- [London, 1776]
- - Middle Atlantic States--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Philadelphia Region (Pa.)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia Region
- - United States--Middle Atlantic States
- - "West longitude from London."
- - From the Gentleman's magazine, v. 46, 1776.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Scale ca. 1:1,625,000.
- - LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789 1041
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - 2 copies
- - AACR2
- - Vault
- map 17 x 21 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3790 1776 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A Map of the country round Philadelphia including part of New Jersey, New York, Staten Island, & Long Island. [London, 1776] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/74692190/.
APA citation style:
(1776) A Map of the country round Philadelphia including part of New Jersey, New York, Staten Island, & Long Island. [London] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/74692190/.
MLA citation style:
A Map of the country round Philadelphia including part of New Jersey, New York, Staten Island, & Long Island. [London, 1776] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/74692190/>.