Photo, Print, Drawing Franciscus Draeck nobilissimus eques Angliae an[n]o aet[atis] sue 43
About this Item
- Franciscus Draeck nobilissimus eques Angliae an[n]o aet[atis] sue 43
- Drake is depicted standing, his right hand on a helmet, his left holding a baton. Through a window above to the left a landscape is visible; before the window hangs a terrestrial globe or two-hemisphere disc map hanging by an ornamented finial.
- Hondius, Jodocus, 1563-1612
- Hans and Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- [London? : Jodocus Hondius?, ca. 1583]
- - Drake, Francis,--approximately 1540-1596
- - Great Britain--History, Naval--Tudors, 1485-1603--Biography
- - Great Britain--History--Elizabeth, 1558-1603--Biography
- - Explorers--Great Britain--Biography--Early works to 1800
- - Admirals--Great Britain--Biography--Early works to 1800
- - Attributed to Hondius by George Vertue, who obtained the original plate and produced a 2nd state in the 18th century. Cf. Hind.
- - First state.
- - The finest contemporary portrait of Drake. It is unsigned, but was attributed to Hondius by George Vertue in the 18th century, and Hind follows this attribution, though suggesting that it may possibly be the work of Remigius Hogenberg. It is certainly different in style and posture from other engravings of Drake signed by Hondius. It apparently was never circulated in Drake's time, as only two contemporary impressions are known (British Museum, Scheepvaart Museum, Amsterdam), both of them in unfinished state. Vertue obtained the original copper plate from Drake's descendants, and completed it, largely by adding shading in the background. The present impression is of the second state.
- - Measurement indicates sheet size of trimmed LC copy retaining only part of the plate mark.
- - Hind, A.M. Engraving in England, I, p. 159 (no. 3) and plate 92
- - LC copy: Gift of Hans P. and Hanni Kraus.
- - drakenew
- 1 print : engraving ; 42 x 32 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- DA86.22.D7 H66 1583
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The contents of the Library of the Sir Francis Drake Collection have no known copyright restrictions and are free to use and reuse.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hondius, Jodocus, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Franciscus Draeck nobilissimus eques Angliae anno aetatis sue 43. Great Britain, 1583. [London?: Jodocus Hondius?] Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/84233428/.
APA citation style:
Hondius, J. & Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. (1583) Franciscus Draeck nobilissimus eques Angliae anno aetatis sue 43. Great Britain, 1583. [London?: Jodocus Hondius?] [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/84233428/.
MLA citation style:
Hondius, Jodocus, and Hans And Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection. Franciscus Draeck nobilissimus eques Angliae anno aetatis sue 43. [London?: Jodocus Hondius?] Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/84233428/>.