Map Map of the Potomac & Anacostia rivers between Washington D.C. & Alexandria Va.
About this Item
- Map of the Potomac & Anacostia rivers between Washington D.C. & Alexandria Va.
- Contributor Names
- Young, William S., Lieutenant.
- Upshur, A. P. (Abel Parker), 1790-1844.
- Whiting, William B.
- Smith, M. S., Captain of Topographical Engineers.
- United States Coast Survey.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Potomac River Estuary--Maps
- - Anacostia River Estuary (Md. and Washington, D.C.)--Maps
- - Nautical charts--Potomac River Estuary
- - Nautical charts--Anacostia River Estuary (Md. and Washington, D.C.)
- - Harbors--Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Harbors--Virginia--Alexandria--Maps
- - United States--Potomac River Estuary
- - United States--Maryland--Anacostia River Estuary
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington--Anacostia River Estuary
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - United States--Virginia--Alexandria
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - "Copied from the tracining [sic] of original and sent to Com'd'r J.A. Dahlgren U.S.N., M.S. Smith, Cap't of Top'l Eng'rs Asst. C.S. in charge of Office, Coast Survey Office, Washington, February 17th 1857."
- - Blue-line print of ms. map.
- - Includes note.
- - "P.W. 1832. Antique."
- - LC copy accompanied by typewritten text of note by "RS 5/9/77."
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - DCP
- 1 map : photocopy ; 221 x 91 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3792.P6 1842 .Y6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
- Smith, M. S.
- United States Coast Survey
- Upshur, A. P. (Abel Parker)
- Whiting, William
- Young, William S.
- Anacostia River Estuary
- District of Columbia
- Potomac River Estuary
- United States
- Washington D.C.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Young, William S., Lieutenant, A. P Upshur, William B Whiting, M. S Smith, and United States Coast Survey. Map of the Potomac & Anacostia rivers between Washington D.C. & Alexandria Va. 1842. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/90684609/.
APA citation style:
Young, W. S., Upshur, A. P., Whiting, W. B., Smith, M. S. & United States Coast Survey. (1842) Map of the Potomac & Anacostia rivers between Washington D.C. & Alexandria Va. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/90684609/.
MLA citation style:
Young, William S., Lieutenant, et al. Map of the Potomac & Anacostia rivers between Washington D.C. & Alexandria Va. 1842. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/90684609/>.
More Maps like this
MapChart of the Potomac River and Eastern Branch from the Sister Islands to Geesboro Point and ... Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by contours and soundings. Also shows block numbers and major buildings. "Approved--T.C. Mendenhall, Superintendent, U.S.C. & G.S." Includes text. Available also through the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: Ewing, Maskell C. - U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
- Date: 1837
MapJunction of Potomac and Anacostia rivers Depths shown by contours and soundings. Title handwritten on original map. On original map in handwriting: Reduced by F. Fairfax 1854. Includes notes. LC copy accompanied by negative photocopy and annotated in...
- Contributor: Fairfax, F.
- Date: 1854
MapPotomac River (in four sheets): Sheet no. 4, from Indian Head to Georgetown Scale 1:40,000. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 53.4 "No. 391" in upper left corner of map. "Electrotype copy no. 1, by G. Mathiot, U.S.C.S." is printed in the upper margin. Information...
- Contributor: Harrison, A. M. (Alexander Medina) - United States Coast Survey - Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas)
- Date: 1864
MapPotomac River (in four sheets) Chart of the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. to its entrance into the Chesapeake Bay. Chart indicates soundings, tides, lighthouses, and the shoreline configuration. Description derived from published bibliography. Maps numbered 20-23...
- Contributor: United States Coast Survey - Bache, A. D. (Alexander Dallas)
- Date: 1862
MapPotomac River, Mattawoman Creek to Georgetown : United States--East Coast, Maryland--Virginia--District of Columbia. Nautical chart. Relief shown by contours. Depths shown by contours, gradient tints, and soundings. Note rubber-stamped in lower margin. Includes notes, inset of "Washington harbor," and coat-of-arms. Publisher's no.: 560. LC copy...
- Contributor: U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
- Date: 1968