Map Carta reducida del Estrecho de Magallanes y parte de la costa del Fuego levantado en el año de 1786.
About this Item
- Carta reducida del Estrecho de Magallanes y parte de la costa del Fuego levantado en el año de 1786.
- "This composite map of the 1785-86 scientific expedition to the Strait of Magellan under the command of Antonio de Córdoba (1740?-1811) represents the first comprehensive study of the region. The map includes references to ports, bays, channels, and other natural features, a keyed legend, and a detailed explanation and notes. Córdoba was a commander (teniente general) in the Spanish Navy who participated in various battles, campaigns, and scientific expeditions throughout the Spanish Empire and beyond. These activities took him to Havana in 1761, Algiers in 1767, Peru, Chile, and New Granada in 1768-72, Brazil, Uruguay, and the Falkland Islands in the 1760s, and the Strait of Magellan in the 1780s. During the second half of the 18th century, the European powers promoted scientific expeditions and surveys to the Americas as well as to other parts of the world. Under King Carlos III (1759-88), Spain launched expeditions to various parts of its vast empire for scientific, commercial, political, and military ends. The product of one of these expeditions, this map is part of the Library of Congress collection of Real Escuela de Navegación maps purchased from Maggs Brothers, London." World Digital Library.
- - Magellan, Strait of (Chile and Argentina)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Pacific Coast (Chile)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Argentina--Magellan, Strait of
- - Chile--Magellan, Strait of
- - Chile--Pacific Coast
- - Includes notes and index.
- - Mounted on cloth backing.
- - Order number annotated in pencil in lower margin: 336744/25.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - LC Luso-Hispanic World, 200
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- 1 map : ms., col. ; 56 x 85 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G5332.M33 1786 .C3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carta reducida del Estrecho de Magallanes y parte de la costa del Fuego levantado en el año de. 1786. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/91683500/.
APA citation style:
(1786) Carta reducida del Estrecho de Magallanes y parte de la costa del Fuego levantado en el año de. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/91683500/.
MLA citation style:
Carta reducida del Estrecho de Magallanes y parte de la costa del Fuego levantado en el año de. 1786. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/91683500/>.