Map Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington
About this Item
- Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington
- United States. Corps of Topographical Engineers
- McDowell, Irvin, 1818-1885
- Schedler, J. (Joseph)
Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C.? : s.n., 1862]
- - Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fortification--Virginia--Maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Washington Metropolitan Area--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fortification--Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Fortification--Washington Metropolitan Area--Maps
- - Virginia--Maps
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps
- - Washington Metropolitan Area--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington Metropolitan Area
- - Shows forts and batteries in the District of Columbia and immediate vicinity.
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - At head of title: Surveys for military defences.
- - "Additions & corrections for Rappahannock and Rapid Ann Rivers and their vicinity ..." added to data used in compilation.
- - Mounted on cloth backing.
- - Includes "Data used in compilation," table of "Elevations above tide water," and "Geological profile of Loudoun County."
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 468
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Copy 1 filed in Vault. Copy 2 filed with Civil War Map Collection under bibliography no. 468.
- - Copy 2 dissected and mounted on cloth backing (sheets 63 x 78 cm. or smaller); stamped on verso of northwestern sheet: Gilbert Thompson.
- - Vault
- - DCP
- - ARP
- 1 map on 6 sheets ; 166 x 124 cm., sheets 57 x 62 cm. or smaller.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3881.S5 1862 .U52
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
United States Corps Of Topographical Engineers, Irvin McDowell, and J Schedler. Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington. [Washington, D.C.?: s.n, 1862] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/91685688/.
APA citation style:
United States Corps Of Topographical Engineers, McDowell, I. & Schedler, J. (1862) Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington. [Washington, D.C.?: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/91685688/.
MLA citation style:
United States Corps Of Topographical Engineers, Irvin McDowell, and J Schedler. Map of n. eastern Virginia and vicinity of Washington. [Washington, D.C.?: s.n, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/91685688/>.