Film, Video Ghosts
About this Item
- A tragedy in which the sins of a father are visited upon his children as revealed in the story of a young man who unknowingly falls in love with his half-sister. When the family doctor, who knows of the father's sordid past, stops the wedding, the son descends into alcoholism, madness and finally, suicide.
- Nicholls, George, Jr., 1897-1939, direction
- Griffith, D. W. (David Wark), 1875-1948, production
- Smith, Russell E., writing
- Walthall, Henry B. (Henry Brazeale), 1878-1936, cast
- Alden, Mary, cast
- Blake, Loretta, cast
- Filson, Al, 1857-1925, cast
- Ibsen, Henrik, 1828-1906
- Majestic Motion Picture Company
- Mutual Film Corporation
- AFI/Yale University Collection (Library of Congress)
- AFI/Killiam (Paul) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Mutual Film Corp., 1915.
- - Dysfunctional families--Drama
- - Fathers and sons--Drama
- - Neurosyphilis--Drama
- - Alcoholism--Drama
- - Mental illness--Drama
- - Suicide--Drama
- Melodramas (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Feature films
- Fiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Henry Walthall, Mary Alden, Loretta Blake, Juanita Archer, Al Filson.
- - Incomplete: according to card in M/B/RS Film & Television catalog, LC copies are incomplete at about 39 minutes long. Master pos pic also has scenes out of order.
- - Secondary sources give the original reel count as five reels, but do not give the original running time or footage. Grapevine Video online catalog gives the running time as 49 minutes.
- - A Majestic Master Picture; a Mutual Master Picture.
- - Based on the play, Ghosts, by Henrik Ibsen.
- - Sources used: American Film Institute catalog, feature films, 1911-1920, p. 319-320; Internet movie database WWW site, viewed December 2, 2015; Motography, June 5, 1915, p. 923-924 viewed online December 2, 2015 via the Internet Archive WWW site; Motion picture news, May 29, 1915, p. 67 viewed online December 2, 2015 via Media History Digital Archive; Grapevine Video online catalog, viewed December 2, 2015; Variety, June 11, 1916, p. 19 viewed online December 2, 2015 via Variety Archives WWW site.
- - 16 mm dupe neg renumbered: FRA 7717-7718 to FSA 9584-9585.
- 2 video files (digital, MPEG-4) (ca.39 min.) : si., b&w.
- viewing print 5 film reels of 5 on 2 (inc.) (1,400 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 5 film reels of 5 on 2 (inc.) (1,400 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master pos pic 4 film reels of 5 (r1-4, inc.) (3,572 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FBA 8569-8570 (viewing print)
- FSA 9584-9585 (dupe neg pic)
- FPA 5101-5104 (master pos pic)
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Killiam (Paul) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Afi/Yale University Collection (Library of Congress)
- Alden, Mary
- Blake, Loretta
- Filson, AL
- Griffith, D. W. (David Wark)
- Ibsen, Henrik
- Majestic Motion Picture Company
- Mutual Film Corporation
- Nicholls, George
- Smith, Russell E.
- Walthall, Henry B. (Henry Brazeale)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Smith, Russell E., Writing, Henry B Walthall, Mary Alden, Loretta Blake, Al Filson, Henrik Ibsen, Majestic Motion Picture Company, Mutual Film Corporation, Afi/Yale University Collection, and Afi/Killiam. Ghosts. directeds by Nicholls, George, Jr., Ection, produceds by Griffith, D. W. , Uction United States: Mutual Film Corp, 1915. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/91789743/.
APA citation style:
Smith, R. E., Walthall, H. B., Alden, M., Blake, L., Filson, A., Ibsen, H. [...] Afi/Killiam. (1915) Ghosts. Nicholls, G., dir, Griffith, D. W., prod United States: Mutual Film Corp. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/91789743/.
MLA citation style:
Smith, Russell E., Writing, et al. Ghosts. dir by Nicholls, George, Jr., Ection, prod by Griffith, D. W. , Uction United States: Mutual Film Corp, 1915. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/91789743/>.