Film, Video Turkish dance, Ella Lola
About this Item
- Turkish dance, Ella Lola
- A young, dark-haired woman performs a period "Oriental" dance (commonly known as a belly dance) with some Turkish styling. She performs distinctive dance movements that include shoulder shimmies with pelvic movements and several foot patterns, side traveling movements with pelvic circles, a slow pelvic circle and a front pelvic lock, and paddle turns with various arm gestures. Her dance costume consists of a two-layered skirt to the knee, a hip belt with fringe, a chemise-like shirt under a fitted vest, several layers of necklaces and front decoration, white stockings, white--perhaps ballet--shoes, and a glittering fitted cap.
- Lola, Ella, performer.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1898.
- - Belly dance
- - Dancers--United States
- Filmed vaudeville acts
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 59210 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 7Oct1898; 59210.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Dancer: Ella Lola.
- - Duration: 0:29 at 26 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1347) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Summary description provided by dance ethnologist Michelle Forner, 5/22/1996.
- - Filmed in September, 1898 in Edison's "Black Maria" studio in West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 339; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 470.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 2235 to FYA 1243.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (47 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (47 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4361 (viewing print)
- FYA 1243 (viewing print)
- FRA 1500 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 7907 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0001B (paper pos)
- Box 5266F (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Turkish dance, Ella Lola. performeds by Lola, Ella United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96509503/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) Turkish dance, Ella Lola. Lola, E., performer United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96509503/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Turkish dance, Ella Lola. performer by Lola, Ella United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96509503/>.