Film, Video Gordon Sisters boxing
About this Item
- Gordon Sisters boxing
- Two women on a stage approach from either side of the painted backdrop of a garden and engage in a boxing match. Both the boxing gloves and the hits exchanged between the women seem genuine. One woman wears a modest white dress with long sleeves and a skirt to mid-calf, dark stockings, and laced boots. The other woman--taller, thinner, and perhaps younger--sports a shorter, dark, sleeveless dress and the same dark stockings and boots.
- "Champion lady boxers of the world. Here we depict two female pugilists that are really clever. They are engaged in a hot and heavy one-round sparring exhibition, which is photographed against a very pleasing background, consisting of a park, with marble entrance and walk, and beautiful trees and shrubbery. The exhibition is very lively from start to finish; the blows fall thick and fast, and some very clever pugilistic generalship is exhibited. Length 100 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- - Gordon Sisters
- - Women boxers--United States
- - Sisters--United States
- Filmed boxing matches
- Filmed vaudeville acts
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H4083 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 6May01; H4083.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Performers: the Gordon Sisters.
- - There were at least three boxing Gordon Sisters; the performers in this film may be Bessie and Minnie.
- - Duration: 1:36 at 19 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1628) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 123; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 51; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910; New York clipper, November 15, 1902.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 7599 to FZA 2627.
- - Viewing print and dupe neg pic (35 mm.) include pullbacks and almost 1 ft. of black; these printing errors do not appear in the digital file.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (115 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (115 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 120 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 120 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4642 (viewing print)
- FEC 1125 (viewing print)
- FRA 1672 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2627 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0146C (paper pos)
- Box 5115C (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Gordon Sisters boxing. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96514927/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Gordon Sisters boxing. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96514927/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Gordon Sisters boxing. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96514927/>.