Film, Video Arabian gun twirler
About this Item
- Arabian gun twirler
- A bearded man performs a rifle twirling act on a stage with a painted backdrop of a city street corner. He wears a white turban and a dark two-piece costume of tunic and baggy pants that narrow at the knees; perhaps the costume of an Arab infantryman. The tricks he performs include throwing the spinning rifle in the air and catching it; twirling the gun in front of him, above his head, behind his back, to the side of his torso, and under his leg; and twirling the rifle as he switches hands.
- From Edison films catalog: An interesting exhibit by Hadji Cheriff, of the original Midway Plaisance. Twirls his rifle over shoulder, behind back, under leg, both hands and one hand. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- Cheriff, Hadji, performer.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- Subject Headings
- - Firearms
- - Tricks
- - Arabs--United States--Games
- - Amusements--United States
- - Silent films
- - 20770 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20Mar1899; 20770.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Duration: 0:40 at 18 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Portion of summary from K.R. Niver, Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 11.
- - Cheriff was apparently a performer on the Midway Plaisance of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois, perhaps in the "A Street in Cairo" or Turkish village exhibits.
- - Code name (for telegraphic orders) Unbought.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN046277; Arabian gun twirler.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 49; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Received: 1/21/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 6/16/93 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 3/20/1899; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2487 (ref print)
- FPE 8484 (dupe neg)
- LC 1301a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Military Exhibition Drill
Peep Shows (Motion Pictures)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Arabian Gun Twirler. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96515758/. (Accessed January 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Arabian Gun Twirler. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96515758/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Arabian Gun Twirler. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96515758/>.