Film, Video Laura Comstock's bag-punching dog
About this Item
- Laura Comstock's bag-punching dog
- Opens with the head and shoulders of a woman in full dress and hat and the front paws and head of a boxer visible behind a sign that reads "Miss Laura Comstock's Bag Punching Dog." Cuts to the dog sitting on his haunches on a stage with a painted backdrop of a trail through a forest. As the dog starts to wander offscreen, a large punching bag drops from above. He leaps up and hits the suspended bag with his head and body, causing it to swing. The dog repeatedly punches the bag in this manner until he knocks it down completely, grabs it in his mouth, and shakes it from side to side in his teeth.
- From Edison films catalog: This wonderful dog "Mannie," owned by the vaudeville star, Miss Laura Comstock, is a most learned animal. He has been trained to perform all sorts of tricks, and his intelligence is, perhaps, most marked in his latest and most difficult feat, that of punching the bag. This picture depicts him in a bag punching performance which is really wonderful. His high jumps and lightning-like punches are remarkable and cause one to marvel at the amount of patience that must be necessary to teach a dog such tricks.
- Contributor Names
- Porter, Edwin S., camera.
- Comstock, Laura, performer.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- Subject Headings
- - Boxers (Dogs)--Training--United States
- - Bag punching--United States
- - Mannie (Dog)
- - Dog sports--United States
- - Show dogs--United States
- - Silent films
- Animal films and programs
- - H4086 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 6May1901; H4086.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Duration: 1:31 at 18 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - According to C. Musser in The emergence of cinema, Mannie was co-owned by Comstock and her husband Norman Mosher and had appeared in many Edison and Biograph films.
- - Catalog no. 5227; code name (for telegraphic orders) Ungainful.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN046329; Laura Comstock's bag punching dog.
- - Filmed in Edison's New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Musser, C. The emergence of cinema, 1990, p. 316-17, 486.
- - Received: 11/28/94 from LC film lab; arch pos; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 7/19/94 from LC film lab; arch neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 1/6/95 from LC film lab; masterpos; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 5/6/01; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (103 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. arch pos.
- 1 reel of 1 (103 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. arch neg.
- 1 reel of 1 (103 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. masterpos.
- 1 roll (103 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FPE 7537 (arch pos)
- FPE 7535 (arch neg)
- FPE 7538 (masterpos)
- LC 1685a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Porter, Edwin S.
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
SubjectsAnimal Films and Programs
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Laura Comstock's bag-punching dog. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96519192/. (Accessed December 03, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Porter, E. S., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Laura Comstock's bag-punching dog. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96519192/.
MLA citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Laura Comstock's bag-punching dog. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96519192/>.