Film, Video Dancing darkey boy
About this Item
- Dancing darkey boy
- In this outside scene, a small African American boy--dressed in a cap, leggings, and suit with short pants--dances on a table or other flat, raised surface. Surrounding and encouraging him with hand claps is a group of men, dressed in a variety of styles, from shirtsleeves and caps to suits and hats, with one gentleman in a formal suit and top hat. Visible in the background are two horses and stable buildings. The boy performs a combination of jig, clog and cakewalk dance.
- "Scene is in a stable, where a crowd of horsemen, jockeys and stable hands are watching a little darkey boy dance on a table. 45 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Heise, William, production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- - African American boys--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Child dancers--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Jig (Dance)
- - Clog dancing
- - Cakewalk (Dance)
- - Monmouth County Horse Show
- - Stablehands--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Horsemen and horsewomen--New Jersey--Long Branch
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 60568 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60568.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 24.76 fps.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Photographed August 12-14, 1897 at the Monmouth County Horse Show in Long Branch, New Jersey.
- - Edison catalog no. 5004.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0007) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 73; Edison motion pictures, 1890-1900, p. 327; AFI catalog: film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 244; Edison films catalog, no. 288, July 1906, p. 48; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 52; Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPC 3488 to FZA 0286.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (16 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (16 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3021 (viewing print)
- FEC 2230 (viewing print)
- FRA 0094 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 0286 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0659D (paper pos)
- Box 5548F (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Dancing Darkey Boy. produceds by Heise, Williamuction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96519344/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Dancing Darkey Boy. Heise, W., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96519344/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Dancing Darkey Boy. prod by Heise, Williamuction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96519344/>.