Film, Video The tramp's unexpected skate
Digital viewing copy
About this Item
- The tramp's unexpected skate
- "Here is a picture that appeals to both young and old. A weary looking tramp lies asleep under the wall of a picturesque park. Two mischievous boys enter on roller skates. They take a cautious view of Weary Willie, when a bright idea enters their heads. They hold a short conference and then removing their skates, they proceed to strap them firmly to the feet of Weary Willie. They then wake the tramp by tickling him under the chin with a straw. Then, just what is expected by the audience happens. Willie starts out in pursuit of his youthful tormentors, but the skates are a hindrance to his progress. In his mad endeavor to reach the boys he goes through a series of very humorous antics and ends by falling in a heap several times, striking on his head more often than on his heels. Length 60 feet"--Edison films catalog, no. 105.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- - Tramps--Humor
- - Boys--Humor
- - Practical jokes--Humor
- - Roller skating--Humor
- Slapstick comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H4567 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 23May1901; H4567.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Duration: 0:47 at 19 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0467) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 334; AFI catalog: film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 1090; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 64-65, viewed online September 5, 2019 via ProQuest History Vault.
- - paper pos (copy 2) Received: 1901-05-23; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3481 (viewing print)
- FEC 2515 (viewing print)
- FEB 9712 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 0762 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 8523 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5284 (dupe neg pic, copy 2)
- FRB 1880 (master pos pic)
- Box 0824F (paper pos)
- Box 5587 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. The Tramp's Unexpected Skate. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96519539/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) The Tramp's Unexpected Skate. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96519539/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. The Tramp's Unexpected Skate. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96519539/>.