Film, Video Ameta
About this Item
- Two large squares of white fabric completely cover a woman standing on a stage with a paneled wall as a backdrop. The fabric is supported in front and back of her by some sort of flexible poles along the top edge. The woman bends these rods and peaks out from the resulting hole, with her head and neck visible. She then performs what appears to be a variation on a skirt dance , with the fabric acting as a type of voluminous costume; she is actually wearing a full-length decorated dress. Holding the poles in either hand, she twirls the fabric about her, in both a front-to-back and side-to-side motion. She closes by twirling herself so that the fabric forms an upward-moving spiral, completely covering her upper body.
- Contributor Names
- Ameta, performer.
- Armitage, F. S., camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903.
- Subject Headings
- - Dance--United States
- - Silent films
- - H30752 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 24Apr1903; H30752.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, F.S. Armitage.
- - Performer: Ameta.
- - Duration: 0:26 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Ads in the New York clipper proclaim "mirror dancer" Ameta "the most elaborate act in vaudeville." They describe four dances performed by Ameta, none of which appears to be the dance featured in this film: a "shower of confetti, ribbons;" a "prismatic fountain of real water;" a fire dance; and "mysterious transparent scenery," all performed on "a full stage setting of silk plush [and] eight large French plate mirrors" (3/21/03, p. 97; 8/30/02, p. 587).
- - Catalog no. 2344; code name (for telegraphic orders) Garrisones.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN046276; Ameta.
- - Filmed April 1, 1903, in the Biograph New York City studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph photo catalog, v. 5 [MI].
- - Received: 8/3/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 5/16/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 4/24/03; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2526 (ref print)
- FPE 8549 (dupe neg)
- LC 405b (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAmerican Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Armitage, F. S.
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Filmed Vaudeville Acts
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Armitage, F. S., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Ameta. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96520338/. (Accessed December 10, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Armitage, F. S., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Ameta. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96520338/.
MLA citation style:
Armitage, F. S., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Ameta. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96520338/>.