Film, Video Cake walk Coon cake walk / Darkey cake walk / Cakewalk
About this Item
- Cake walk
- Coon cake walk
- Darkey cake walk
- Five African Americans--three men and two women--perform a cakewalk, a dance featuring fancy strutting that was named after the prize awarded in the original contests. The dancers wear rather formal attire, with the men in dark suits and black tie and the women in full-length, high-collared dark dresses; one woman carries a small American flag. As they step in place against a light background, the center male--holding up a top hat and twirling a cane--moves toward the camera and briefly performs some fancy steps. As he moves back, the man at the left end of the line does a quick twirling step and links arms with his partner. The other two dancers also pair off as the center male leads them in a strutting movement around the stage. When they return to the original line, all five step towards the camera with the center man slightly ahead of the others. The film ends just as they stop the cakewalk.
- "An amusing cake walk, by a company of New York darkies who excel in this line of work"--American Mutoscope & Biograph picture catalogue.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, c1903.
- - Cakewalk (Dance)
- - Dance, Black--United States
- - African American dance
- Filmed vaudeville acts
- Peep shows (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H31674 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 11May1903; H31674.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Niver's Early motion pictures incorrectly credits the Americus Quartet as performers. Niver's credit for F.S. Armitage as cameraman cannot be confirmed in secondary sources.
- - Duration: 0:24 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed at the Biograph New York City studio, April-May, 1897.
- - Biograph production no. 207.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0367) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Sometimes confused with Comedy cake walk, which LC also holds.
- - The AFI catalog erroneously gives copyright information and title for this film on the entry for Comedy cake walk.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 43; AFI catalog: film beginnings, 1893-1910; American Mutoscope & Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902, p. 12; Biograph photo catalog, vol. 1, no. 207, viewed online via the New Jersey Digital Highway, July 11, 2014; Biograph production logs, 1896-1899; AFI catalog: film beginnings, 1893-1910.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 7730 to FZA 1175.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 2203 to FYA 1431.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (11 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3381 (viewing print)
- FYA 1431 (viewing print)
- FRA 0371 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 1175 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0126M (paper pos)
- Box 5604D (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Cake Walk. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96520361/.
APA citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Cake Walk. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96520361/.
MLA citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Cake Walk. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96520361/>.