Film, Video A tough dance
About this Item
- A tough dance
- From either side of a white, apparently outdoors, setting enter a man and woman, both wearing ragged street clothes and caps. As they approach center stage, the man grabs the woman's arm and pulls her to him, then slaps her. Still holding her arm, the man and his partner cockily strut towards the camera. The man grabs the woman in a crouched, bear-hug type of hold and they perform a rough little dance that almost seems a parody of a waltz. In a jerky type of jitterbug, the man twirls the woman out of his hold and back again, a movement which is repeated often within their spinning dance. They finally fall to the ground, still clutching each other, and roll around.
- From K.R. Niver, Early motion pictures, 1985: Two people imitate the celebrated dance of the French apache. As the film begins, a man dressed in rough clothing approaches a woman, also dressed in tattered garments, who is standing near the center of camera position. They begin to accentuate their shoulder movements and, at the end of the film, are hitting one another and rolling about on the floor. The participants were Kid Foley and Sailor Lil, who claimed to be the champion performers of this popular Bowery dance.
- Contributor Names
- Kid Foley, performer.
- Sailor Lil, performer.
- Bonine, R. (Robert K.), camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902.
- Subject Headings
- - Dance--New York (State)--New York
- - Hoodlums--New York (State)--New York--Drama
- - Dancers--New York (State)--New York
- - Bowery (New York, N.Y. : Street)--Drama
- - Silent films
- - H24891 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 9Dec1902; H24891.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, Bonine.
- - Performers: Kid Foley, Sailor Lil.
- - Duration: 0:45 at 15 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, see the M/B/RS Paper Print database.
- - Catalog no. 2166; code name (for telegraphic orders) Garben.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN046352; A tough dance.
- - Filmed June 19, 1902, at the Biograph New York City studio, perhaps on the roof.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Received: 12/19/94 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 11/25/94 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 12/9/02; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll (42 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2134 (ref print)
- FPE 7636 (dupe neg)
- LC 1894b (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAmerican Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Bonine, R. (Robert K.)
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
SubjectsBowery (New York, N.Y. : Street)
New York (State)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. A Tough Dance. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96520498/. (Accessed January 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Bonine, R., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1902) A Tough Dance. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96520498/.
MLA citation style:
Bonine, R. , Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. A Tough Dance. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96520498/>.