Film, Video [Animal act with baboon, dog and donkey] Spanuth's vodvil - Zouary no. 149 / Zouary can no. 149
About this Item
- [Animal act with baboon, dog and donkey]
- Spanuth's vodvil - Zouary no. 149
- Zouary can no. 149
- Opens on a closeup of a baboon "playing" a violin, then cuts to a medium shot of the same. The baboon wears a white short-sleeved shirt with a loose bow tie and tweed pants. Cuts to a closeup of the baboon in a circular mask or iris effect, without the violin but with a collar around his neck and a striped kitten that he places on his shoulder. Another iris effect opens to a long shot of a stage with a painted backdrop of a river. Standing at stage left is a woman in a spangled, sleeveless dress to the knee and high laced boots, holding the leash of a dark donkey. The baboon stands center stage, near a man in a white animal trainer suit with dark piping and a white cap. On a chair stage right sits a black and white spotted dog. A series of cuts show the baboon performing various tricks, including roller-skating in a circle around the man, doing a walking handstand, circling the stage atop a large ball, and riding the ball down a ramp with the kitten in his arms. The dog then creates figure-eights through the woman's legs as she walks, and jumps a rope held by the woman and baboon. Cuts to the baboon riding a bicycle in a circle around the man. Cuts to the baboon leading the donkey onstage, and then to the donkey apparently play-biting and kicking two men. The gag of the men trying to mount the donkey--only to be bitten, kicked, or thrown off--is repeated, with one intertitle: "A 100% kick." Ends after the baboon jumps on one man.
- Spanuth, Hans A., production.
- Commonwealth Pictures Corporation.
- AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : [Commonwealth Pictures Corp., 1919 or 1920?]
- - Circus animals--United States
- - Baboons--United States
- - Donkeys--Behavior--United States
- - Dogs--United States
- - Silent films
- Animal films and programs
- - Copyright: reg. unknown.
- - No copyright registration or production and distribution information could be found for such an act, but the film appears to be an uncopyrighted Spanuth's original vod-a-vil movie given the similarities in camera technique to identified Spanuths.
- - Unlike other suspected Spanuths, this film has no opening titles; supplied title taken from M/B/RS shelflist card.
- - Duration: 1:28 at 16 fps.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - NCN015170; Zouary can no 149.
- - Third film on reel with: The flying De Armands, Spanish Goldinies [Spanuth's original vod-a-vil movies, no. 5], and Tom Tinker's pony patter.
- - Probably filmed ca. 1918-19 in Chicago.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; M/B/RS copyright descriptions; M/B/RS Acquisition files (AFI/Zouary file); Motion picture news, v. 21, p. 2598.
- - Received: 4/1/80 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection.
- - Received: 1/14/77 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (87 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (87 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 3202 (ref print)
- FPD 1669 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Commonwealth Pictures Corporation
- Spanuth, Hans A.
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress American Variety Stage collection is in the public domain and is free to use and reuse.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation, and Afi/Zouary. Animal Act With Baboon, Dog and Donkey. produceds by Spanuth, Hans A.Uction [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?, 1919] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96521533/.
APA citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation & Afi/Zouary. (1919) Animal Act With Baboon, Dog and Donkey. Spanuth, H. A. U., prod [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96521533/.
MLA citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation, and Afi/Zouary. Animal Act With Baboon, Dog and Donkey. prod by Spanuth, Hans A.Uction [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96521533/>.