Film, Video [Animal act with baboon, dog and donkey]
About this Item
- [Animal act with baboon, dog and donkey]
- Opens on a closeup of a baboon "playing" a violin, then cuts to a medium shot of the same. The baboon wears a white short-sleeved shirt with a loose bow tie and tweed pants. Cuts to a closeup of the baboon in a circular mask or iris effect, without the violin but with a collar around his neck and a striped kitten that he places on his shoulder. Another iris effect opens to a long shot of a stage with a painted backdrop of a river. Standing at stage left is a woman in a spangled, sleeveless dress to the knee and high laced boots, holding the leash of a dark donkey. The baboon stands center stage, near a man in a white animal trainer suit with dark piping and a white cap. On a chair stage right sits a black and white spotted dog. A series of cuts show the baboon performing various tricks, including roller-skating in a circle around the man, doing a walking handstand, circling the stage atop a large ball, and riding the ball down a ramp with the kitten in his arms. The dog then creates figure-eights through the woman's legs as she walks, and jumps a rope held by the woman and baboon. Cuts to the baboon riding a bicycle in a circle around the man. Cuts to the baboon leading the donkey onstage, and then to the donkey apparently play-biting and kicking two men. The gag of the men trying to mount the donkey--only to be bitten, kicked, or thrown off--is repeated, with one intertitle: "A 100% kick." Ends after the baboon jumps on one man.
- Contributor Names
- Spanuth, Hans A., production.
- Commonwealth Pictures Corporation.
- AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : [Commonwealth Pictures Corp., 1919 or 1920?]
- Subject Headings
- - Circus animals--United States
- - Baboons--United States
- - Donkeys--Behavior--United States
- - Dogs--United States
- - Silent films
- Animal films and programs
- - Copyright: reg. unknown.
- - No copyright registration or production and distribution information could be found for such an act, but the film appears to be an uncopyrighted Spanuth's original vod-a-vil movie given the similarities in camera technique to identified Spanuths.
- - Unlike other suspected Spanuths, this film has no opening titles; supplied title taken from M/B/RS shelflist card.
- - Duration: 1:28 at 16 fps.
- - Available on the Internet; Library of Congress World Wide Web site (http://lcweb.loc.gov)
- - NCN015170; Zouary can no149.
- - Third film on reel with: The flying De Armands, Spanish Goldinies [Spanuth's original vod-a-vil movies, no. 5], and Tom Tinker's pony patter.
- - Probably filmed ca. 1918-19 in Chicago.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; M/B/RS copyright descriptions; M/B/RS Acquisition files (AFI/Zouary file); Motion picture news, v. 21, p. 2598.
- - Received: 4/1/80 from LC film lab; ref print; preservation AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection.
- - Received: 1/14/77 from LC film lab; dupe neg; preservation AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection.
- 1 reel of 1 (87 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (87 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 3202 (ref print)
- FPD 1669 (dupe neg)
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAfi/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation
Spanuth, Hans A.
SubjectsAnimal Films and Programs
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation, and Afi/Zouary. [Animal Act With Baboon, Dog and Donkey]. [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96521533/. (Accessed January 16, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation & Afi/Zouary. (1919) [Animal act with baboon, dog and donkey]. [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96521533/.
MLA citation style:
Commonwealth Pictures Corporation, and Afi/Zouary. [Animal Act With Baboon, Dog and Donkey]. [United States: Commonwealth Pictures Corp., or 1920?, 1919] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/96521533/>.