Film, Video Casting a guide box, Westinghouse works Variant title: Westinghouse works / Variant title from MAVIS: Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 1 / Westinghouse works. / Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 1
About this Item
- Casting a guide box, Westinghouse works
- Variant title: Westinghouse works
- Variant title from MAVIS: Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 1
- Westinghouse works.
- Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 1
- A large bucket full of molten material is poured into a large container, possibly a mold, by a group of men using machinery. Some other men stoke the fire under the container. When finished pouring, the men lift the bucket up from the container and take it away on a crane. Two men put prods down repeatedly into the container, while others lay covers on top of it.
- Bitzer, G. W., 1872-1944, camera
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904.
- - Westinghouse Foundries
- - Manufacturing processes--Pennsylvania--Trafford
- - Founding--Pennsylvania--Trafford
- - Foundry workers--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Factories--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- Industrial films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H48415 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 23July1904; H48415.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Duration: 2:41 (part 1) and 2:55 (part 2) at 15 fps.
- - Viewing print (16 mm.) on reel with eight other titles.
- - Biograph production no. 2916.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1974) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed May 14, 1904, at the Westinghouse Foundries in Trafford City, Pennsylvania.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Digital files are on the American Memory exhibit: Inside an American factory. See LC online catalog record no. 2002564464.
- - This film, along with 20 other short films, was selected for the National Film Registry under the title Westinghouse works.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 358; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 [MI]; Biograph Co. prod. records [MI]; the Internet movie database WWW site, viewed 10-23-2012; M/B/RS preliminary catalog card.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 6729 to FZA 2304.
- 1 film reel (127 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (318 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (127 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (318 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 320 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 320 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5896 (viewing print)
- FEA 9020 (viewing print)
- FRA 2947 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2304 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 1172A (paper pos)
- Box 5808A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Inside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904 (39)
- Selections from the National Film Registry (71)
- America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894 to 1915 (158)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,504)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,360,175)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Casting a guide box, Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96521941/.
APA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1904) Casting a guide box, Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96521941/.
MLA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Casting a guide box, Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96521941/>.