Film, Video Welding the big ring Title in Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 and Biograph Co. prod. records: Welding big ring / Variant title: Westinghouse works / Welding big ring / Westinghouse works.
About this Item
- Welding the big ring
- Title in Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 and Biograph Co. prod. records: Welding big ring
- Variant title: Westinghouse works
- Welding big ring
- Westinghouse works.
- A group of men weld one area of a large ring in a fire. They lift the ring, which is hanging horizontally on chains, out of the fire. Four men hammer the hot area on the ring into shape while the remaining men hold the ring. They put the ring into the fire again, take it out, and take it over to a machine which continuously hammers down on that area of the ring. The men then take it away from the machine and hammer it themselves into shape. The ring is presumably a piece of a generator.
- Bitzer, G. W., 1872-1944, camera
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904.
- - Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company
- - Manufacturing processes--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Welding--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Electric generators--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Welders (Persons)--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Electric industry workers--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Factories--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- Industrial films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H45002 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 28Apr1904; H45002.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Duration: 2:45 (part 1) and 3:27 (part 2) at 15 fps.
- - Biograph production no. 2869.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2232) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed April 18, 1904, at the Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Co. in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Digital files are on the American Memory exhibit: Inside an American factory. See LC online catalog record no. 2002564464.
- - This film, along with 20 other short films, was selected for the National Film Registry under the title Westinghouse works.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 357; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 [MI]; Biograph Co. prod. records [MI]; the Internet movie database WWW site, viewed 10-23-2012; M/B/RS preliminary catalog card.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 2541 to FYA 1216.
- 1 film reel of 1 (146 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (349 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (146 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 350 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 350 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5246 (viewing print)
- FYA 1216 (viewing print)
- FRA 2194 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0986A (paper pos)
- Box 5511A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Inside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904 (39)
- Selections from the National Film Registry (71)
- America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894 to 1915 (158)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,504)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,359,292)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Welding the Big Ring. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96522219/.
APA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1904) Welding the Big Ring. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96522219/.
MLA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Welding the Big Ring. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96522219/>.