Film, Video Panoramic view aisle B., Westinghouse works Variant title: Westinghouse works / Variant title from MAVIS: Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 2 / Westinghouse works. / Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 2
About this Item
- Panoramic view aisle B., Westinghouse works
- Variant title: Westinghouse works
- Variant title from MAVIS: Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 2
- Westinghouse works.
- Westinghouse works--Paper Print Collection. Compilation reel 2
- Filmed using a camera on an overhead crane, a traveling view of a large, long aisle is shown. Men are busy performing various tasks on machinery, probably generators. Other men are walking down the aisle in all directions, and carts carrying items come and go. The film ends when the camera reaches the end of the aisle where windows and a large opening are. Rail tracks coming in through the opening are visible.
- Bitzer, G. W., 1872-1944, camera
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904.
- - Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company
- - Manufacturing processes--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Electric industry workers--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- - Factories--Pennsylvania--East Pittsburgh
- Industrial films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H45597 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 10May1904; H45597.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, G.W. "Billy" Bitzer.
- - Duration: 2:19 at 16 fps.
- - Viewing print (16 mm.) on reel with ten other titles.
- - Biograph production no. 2895.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2127) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed May 2, 1904, probably at the Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Co. in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Digital files are on the American Memory exhibit: Inside an American factory. See LC online catalog record no. 2002564464.
- - This film, along with 20 other short films, was selected for the National Film Registry under the title Westinghouse works.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 358; AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995; Biograph photo catalog, v. 6 [MI]; Biograph Co. prod. records [MI]; the Internet movie database WWW site, viewed 10-23-2012; M/B/RS preliminary catalog card.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 2542 to FYA 1214.
- 1 film reel (56 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (139 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll (139 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll (ca. 140 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5897 (viewing print)
- FYA 1214 (viewing print)
- FRA 2930 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0941D (paper pos)
- Box 5680A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Inside an American Factory: Films of the Westinghouse Works, 1904 (39)
- Selections from the National Film Registry (71)
- America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894 to 1915 (158)
- National Screening Room (572)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,504)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,360,175)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Panoramic view aisle B., Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/96522220/.
APA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1904) Panoramic view aisle B., Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96522220/.
MLA citation style:
Bitzer, G. W., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Panoramic view aisle B., Westinghouse works. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1904. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96522220/>.