Map Map of the West Coast of Africa from Sierra Leone to Cape Palmas, including the colony of Liberia
About this Item
- Map of the West Coast of Africa from Sierra Leone to Cape Palmas, including the colony of Liberia
- "This map of part of Africa's west coast is by the Reverend Jehudi Ashmun, a Methodist minister, skilled cartographer, agent of the American Colonization Society (ACS), and governor of Liberia from 1824 to 1828. The ACS established Liberia in 1822 as a colony for freed slaves from the United States. European merchants knew Liberia as "the Grain Coast" because of the great fertility of its soil. Ashmun taught American farming techniques to indigenous peoples and settlers, and worked to promote a balance between commerce and agriculture. He also promoted inland expansion, an interest that is reflected in the map, which includes information about the land, native peoples, trade, the locations of factories and proposed towns, and speculations about what lay beyond charted territory. The map also includes a detailed plan of the country's capital, Monrovia, which the ACS named after U.S. President James Monroe, who supported African-American emigration to the colony." World Digital Library.
- Ashmun, J. (Jehudi), 1794-1828.
- Finley, A. (Anthony)
- Young, J. H. (James Hamilton)
Created / Published
- Philad[elphi]a [Pa.] : A. Finley, 1830.
- - Coasts--Liberia--Maps
- - Coasts--Sierra Leone--Maps
- - Monrovia (Liberia)--Maps
- - Liberia
- - Liberia--Monrovia
- - Sierra Leone
- - Includes text and indexed inset of Monrovia.
- - Prime meridians: Washington and Greenwich.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Copy 1 Gift; 1968; American Colonization Society;
- - Vault
- 1 map : hand col. ; 21 x 28 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G8882.C6 1830 .A8
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Today in History - July 26
- 1820 to 1847 | History Of Liberia: A Time Line | Articles and Essays | Maps of Liberia, 1830 to 1870 | Digital Collections
- Today in History - March 9
- From Colony to Independence: Mid-19th Century Maps of Liberia
- Chicago | Citing Primary Sources | Getting Started with Primary Sources | Teachers | Programs
- MLA | Citing Primary Sources | Getting Started with Primary Sources | Teachers | Programs
- Prologue - The Civil Rights Act of 1964: A Long Struggle for Freedom
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ashmun, J, A Finley, and J. H Young. Map of the West Coast of Africa from Sierra Leone to Cape Palmas, including the colony of Liberia. [Philadelphia Pa.: A. Finley, 1830] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/96680499/.
APA citation style:
Ashmun, J., Finley, A. & Young, J. H. (1830) Map of the West Coast of Africa from Sierra Leone to Cape Palmas, including the colony of Liberia. [Philadelphia Pa.: A. Finley] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96680499/.
MLA citation style:
Ashmun, J, A Finley, and J. H Young. Map of the West Coast of Africa from Sierra Leone to Cape Palmas, including the colony of Liberia. [Philadelphia Pa.: A. Finley, 1830] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96680499/>.