Map Chart of the Pacific Ocean : drawn from a great number of printed and ms. journals
About this Item
- Chart of the Pacific Ocean : drawn from a great number of printed and ms. journals
- Arrowsmith, Aaron, 1750-1823.
- Foot, T. (Thomas)
- Allen, George, active 1790-1821.
- Mendoza y Riós, José de, 1763-1816.
Created / Published
- London : A. Arrowsmith, 1798.
- - Pacific Ocean--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Pacific Ocean--Discovery and exploration--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Pacific Ocean
- - Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
- - Also shows routes and dates of exploration.
- - In upper left corner: To Joseph de Mendoza Rios esqr., F.R.S. &c.&c. This chart of the Pacific Ocean is dedicated, in testimony of respect and esteem, by his much obliged humble servt., A. Arrowsmith.
- - "London: Published Octr. 1st., 1798 by A. Arrowsmith, no. 24 Rathbone Place."
- - Includes notes and ill. in title cartouche.
- - Copy 1 exhibited in the Surveyors of the Pacific exhibit, no.76.
- - Copy 2 imperfect: torn along fold lines.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Two copies. Copy 1 is mounted on linen and sectioned into 3 parts. Copy 2 has map sections pasted and taped together and is annotated on verso in black ink: 23, 24, 25.
- - Vault
- 1 map on 9 sheets ; 186 x 239 cm., sheets 65 x 84 cm., folded to 65 x 42 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G9230 1798 .A71
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Arrowsmith, Aaron, T Foot, George Allen, and José De Mendoza Y Riós. Chart of the Pacific Ocean: drawn from a great number of printed and ms. journals. London: A. Arrowsmith, 1798. Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/96682026/.
APA citation style:
Arrowsmith, A., Foot, T., Allen, G. & Mendoza Y Riós, J. D. (1798) Chart of the Pacific Ocean: drawn from a great number of printed and ms. journals. London: A. Arrowsmith. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/96682026/.
MLA citation style:
Arrowsmith, Aaron, et al. Chart of the Pacific Ocean: drawn from a great number of printed and ms. journals. London: A. Arrowsmith, 1798. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/96682026/>.