Map [Sketch map of fortifications in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Manhattan Island, New York].
About this Item
- [Sketch map of fortifications in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Manhattan Island, New York].
- Krafft, Johann Carl Philipp von, 1752-1804.
Created / Published
- - Fort Washington (New York, N.Y.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Fortification--New York (State)--New York--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783--Participation, German--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--New York (State)--Fort Washington (New York)
- - United States--New York (State)--New York
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - In German.
- - Title devised by cataloger.
- - Gift; Carroll B. Cox, Dana Point, Calif.; 1997.
- - From the Johann Carl Philipp von Krafft papers in LC Manuscript Division.
- - Pen-and-ink.
- - Watermark (unclear--mostly torn away at upper edge).
- - Sheet cut/torn from larger sheet; missing small sections at edges; has vertical fold line at center.
- - Includes unidentified handwritten numbered list (referring to Fort Knyphausen, also called Fort Washington) at lower right.
- - German text in 2 hands and small sketch map of fortifications on verso.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - Acquisitions control no.: 97-12a
- 1 map : ms. ; on sheet 16 x 19 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G3804.N4:2F8S3 1781 .K7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Krafft, Johann Carl Philipp Von. Sketch map of fortifications in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Manhattan Island, New York. [?, 1781] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/97684731/.
APA citation style:
Krafft, J. C. P. V. (1781) Sketch map of fortifications in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Manhattan Island, New York. [?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/97684731/.
MLA citation style:
Krafft, Johann Carl Philipp Von. Sketch map of fortifications in the vicinity of Fort Washington, Manhattan Island, New York. [?, 1781] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/97684731/>.