Film, Video McKinley and party /
About this Item
- McKinley and party /
- Other Title
- President McKinley's inspection of Camp Wikoff
- From the Biograph picture catalogue: 54 feet. This picture has been very popular wherever it has been shown on the Biograph. To begin with, the film is unusually fine photographically, and the picture is taken from a point of view which shows the immense distances of Camp Wikoff with its multitude of tents in the background. The President, with Vice-President Hobart and Secretary of War Russell A. Alger, appear in an open carriage escorted by a large number of officers, notable among whom are Gen. Wheeler, Gen. Gates, and Col. John Jacob Astor. This picture is brought to a rather humorous ending by the efforts of a newspaper photographer to get Col. Astor to pose for a picture. He is unsuccessful, and as the gallant colonel gallops away, the photographer's chagrin is apparent.
- Contributor Names
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901.
- Hobart, Garret A. (Garret Augustus), 1844-1899.
- Alger, R. A. (Russell Alexander), 1836-1907.
- Wheeler, Joseph, 1836-1906.
- Astor, John Jacob, 1864-1912.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, .
- Subject Headings
- - McKinley, William,--1843-1901
- - Hobart, Garret A.--(Garret Augustus),--1844-1899
- - Wheeler, Joseph,--1836-1906
- - Alger, R. A.--(Russell Alexander),--1836-1907
- - Astor, John Jacob,--1864-1912
- - Military camps--New York (State)--Montauk Point
- - United States.--Army--Inspection
- - United States.--Army--Officers
- - United States.--Army--History--Spanish-American War, 1898
- - Montauk Point (N.Y.)--History, Military--19th century
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - Photojournalists--New York (State)--Montauk Point
- War (Nonfiction)--Short
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H27386 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 22Jan1903; H27386.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Probable release date from AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Duration: 0:51 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff.
- - Biograph catalog no. 783; code name (for telegraphic orders) Ennensis.
- - MAVIS 48457; McKinley and party.
- - Filmed ca. Sept. 1898 in Camp Wikoff at Montauk Point, Long Island.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902, p. 107 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - ref print; Received: 7/18/97 from LC film lab; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - dupe neg; Received: 6/16/97 from LC film lab; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - paper pos; Received: 1/22/03; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 61 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 61 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll (ca. 61 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2883 (ref print)
- FPE 9291 (dupe neg)
- LC 281a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAlger, R. A. (russell Alexander)
American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
American Mutoscope Company
Astor, John Jacob
Hobart, Garret A. (garret Augustus)
Niver (kemp) Collection (library of Congress)
Paper Print Collection (library of Congress)
Actualities (motion Pictures)
Alger, R. A.
Astor, John Jacob
Camp Wikoff (n.y.)
Hobart, Garret A.
Montauk Point (n.y.)
New York (state)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mckinley, William, Garret A Hobart, R. A Alger, Joseph Wheeler, John Jacob Astor, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. McKinley and party. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1898] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500677/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
McKinley, W., Hobart, G. A., Alger, R. A., Wheeler, J., Astor, J. J., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1898) McKinley and party. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500677/.
MLA citation style:
Mckinley, William, et al. McKinley and party. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1898] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/98500677/>.