Film, Video 25th Infantry Twenty-fifth Infantry / Twenty-fifth Inf. returning from Mt. Ariat / 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Arayat / Back from battle / Back from the battle / 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Ariat, 1898
About this Item
- 25th Infantry
- Other Title
- Twenty-fifth Infantry
- Twenty-fifth Inf. returning from Mt. Ariat
- 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Arayat
- Back from battle
- Back from the battle
- 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Ariat, 1898
- From the Biograph picture catalogue: Gen. Frederick D. Grant and Gen. A.S. Burt [commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment] returning from Mt. Ariat [sic], at the head of the famous 25th Infantry, colored.
- Contributor Names
- Ackerman, Raymond, camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, .
- Subject Headings
- - United States.--Army.--Infantry Regiment, 25th
- - Grant, Frederick Dent,--1850-1912
- - Burt, Andrew,--1839-1915
- - Philippines--History--Philippine American War, 1899-1902--Participation, African American
- - United States.--Army--African American troops
- - African American soldiers--Philippines
- - United States.--Army--Officers
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H17963 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 21May1902; H17963.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Titles added to Paper Print Collection films during restoration.
- - Probable release date from AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Camera, Raymond Ackerman.
- - Duration: 0:51 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0799) was changed when the paper prints were rehoused.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Concact reference librarian.
- - Filmed January, 1900, in the Philippine Islands, following the 25th Infantry's participation at the battle of Mt. Arayat.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film catalog entry states that the location of this film is probably Cuba, and gives possible production dates of June-Aug., 1898. Mt. Arayat is in the Philippines, and according to Niver's Biograph bulletins, 1896-1908, p. 48, this film was taken in the Philippines in March, 1900. However, according to sources, the 25th Infantry was engaged in a battle near Mt. Arayat on January 5, 1900. This film was probably taken shortly after the battle.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 340; The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection...catalog, p. 3; Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902, p. 180; American Mutoscope and Biograph Co. prod. records (Biograph production log), p. 48; Niver's Biograph bulletins 1896-1908, p. 66 and 425; Nankivell, John H. History of the Twenty-fifth Regiment, United States Infantry, 1869-1926, p. 90, 100-103.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - The Theodore Roosevelt Association film collection : a catalog / prepared by Wendy White-Henson and Veronica M. Gillespie. Library of Congress, 1986.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (51 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3813 (viewing print)
- FEA 7323 (viewing print)
- FEB 9497 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 2856 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0842A (paper pos)
- Box 5193A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
American Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
African American Soldiers
African American Troops
Grant, Frederick Dent
Infantry Regiment, 25th
Participation, African American
Philippine American War
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ackerman, Raymond, Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection, and Paper Print Collection. 25th Infantry. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1900] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500744/. (Accessed February 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Ackerman, R., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection & Paper Print Collection. (1900) 25th Infantry. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500744/.
MLA citation style:
Ackerman, Raymond, Camera, et al. 25th Infantry. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1900] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/98500744/>.