Film, Video War correspondents
About this Item
- War correspondents
- "Shows a phase of the war excitement as it affects newpaper men at Key West, Florida. About a dozen war correspondents of the different New York papers are running up the street in a bunch to get to the cable office to get copy of cablegrams to be in turn transmitted to their different papers. They rush directly toward the audience, turn a corner in the immediate foreground and disappear down a side street. A good-natured struggle occurs here, to see who will make the turn first. Curious natives watch the unusual scene. A horse and carriage follow at a seemingly slow pace, showing by comparison what a rapid head-on foot race has been witnessed. 50 feet"--Edison films "war extra" catalog.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- - War correspondents--Florida--Key West
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Journalists
- - Reporters and reporting
- - Decker, Karl C
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 25320 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 21Apr1898; 25320.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Appearing: Karl C. Decker, correspondent for the New York Journal (in the carriage).
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:21 at 30 fps.
- - Filmed March or April, 1898 in Key West, Florida.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1217) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 411-412; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 354; Edison films "war extra" catalog, May 10, 1898, p. 5 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 1157-1158.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (22 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4231 (viewing print)
- FRA 1389 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0665 (master pos pic)
- Box 0830F (paper pos)
- Box 5135F (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. War Correspondents. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98500967/.
APA citation style:
Paley, W. D., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) War Correspondents. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500967/.
MLA citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. War Correspondents. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98500967/>.