Film, Video 9th Infantry boys' morning wash Ninth Infantry boys' morning wash / Ninth U.S. Infantry boys at their morning wash
About this Item
- 9th Infantry boys' morning wash
- Ninth Infantry boys' morning wash
- Ninth U.S. Infantry boys at their morning wash
- "Imagine forty or fifty soldier boys each with a pail of water on the ground before him, sousing and spattering and scrubbing away for dear life. Soap and towels too. Every man jack of them looks as if he were enjoying the wash immensely, and also the novelty of having his picture taken. The big fellow in the center of the picture is laughing heartily. All the figures are clearly outlined, and the whole group is true to life"--Edison films "war extra" catalog.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- - United States.--Army.--Infantry, 9th
- - Military camps--Florida--Tampa
- - United States.--Army--Military life
- - Soldiers--Florida--Tampa
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 31444 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1898; 31444.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 26 fps.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1329) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Filmed ca. May 1898 in Tampa, Florida.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 427; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 223; Edison films "war extra" catalog, May 10, 1898, p. 32 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Compilation reels FEA 9087 (print) and FPB 9735 (neg) removed from this record. See MAVIS. qm22 2013-09-13
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 85 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 85 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4343 (viewing print)
- FRA 1487 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0037B (paper pos)
- Box 5471A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. 9th Infantry boys' morning wash. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98500974/.
APA citation style:
Paley, W. D., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) 9th Infantry boys' morning wash. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98500974/.
MLA citation style:
Paley, William Daly, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. 9th Infantry boys' morning wash. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98500974/>.