Film, Video Raising Old Glory over Morro Castle
Digital viewing copy
About this Item
- Raising Old Glory over Morro Castle
- "Down goes the Spanish flag, and up floats the Stars and Stripes. Down falls the symbol of tyranny and oppression that has ruled in the new world for four hundred years, and up goes the Banner of Freedom. In the distance are the turrets and battlements of Morro, the last foothold of Spain in America"--The Phonoscope, January 1899.
- Blackton, James Stuart, 1875-1941, camera, production.
- Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward), 1875-1958, camera, production.
- American Vitagraph Company.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- - Flag raising and lowering--Cuba--Havana
- - Castillo del Morro (Havana, Cuba)
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - Flags--United States
- - Military occupation
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Silent films
- Nonfiction films
- - 10651 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 4Feb1899; 10651.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Camera, J. Stuart Blackton and/or Albert E. Smith.
- - Duration: 0:38 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed at Vitagraph's rooftop studio in New York City, in front of a painted backdrop of Morro Castle, probably on January 2, 1899.
- - Summary taken from Musser's Edison motion pictures 1890-1900.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1032) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 481-482; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 267; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 883.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - paper pos (copy 1); Received: 1899-02-04; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4046 (viewing print)
- FRA 1233 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0637 (master pos pic)
- Box 0092 (paper pos)
- Box 5137E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- American Vitagraph Company
- Blackton, James Stuart
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
American Vitagraph Company, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Raising Old Glory over Morro Castle. produceds by Blackton, James Stuart, Camerauction, and Smith, Albert E. , Camerauction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98501089/.
APA citation style:
American Vitagraph Company, Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Raising Old Glory over Morro Castle. Blackton, J. S. & Smith, A. E., prods United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98501089/.
MLA citation style:
American Vitagraph Company, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Raising Old Glory over Morro Castle. prod by Blackton, James Stuart, Camerauction, and Smith, Albert E. , Camerauction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98501089/>.