Film, Video Advance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan
About this Item
- Advance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan
- "From the thick underbrush where the Filipinos are massed comes volley after volley. They are making one of those determined stands that marks Caloocan as the bloodiest battle of the Filipino rebellion. Suddenly, with impetuous rush, Funston's men appear. They pause but for a moment, to fire, reload and fire. The color bearer falls, but the standard is caught up by brave Sergeant Squires and waves undaunted in the smoke and din of the receding battle. This is one of the best battle pictures ever made. The first firing is done directly toward the front of the picture, and the advance of the U.S. troops apparently through the screen is very exciting; the gradual disappearance of the fighters sustaining the interest to the end"--Edison films catalog.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- New Jersey. National Guard.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- - Caloocan, Battle of, Caloocan, Philippines, 1899
- - United States.--Army.--Kansas Volunteer Infantry Regiment, 20th
- - Philippines--History--Philippine American War, 1899-1902
- - Battles--Philippines
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 37443 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 5June1899; 37443.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Duration: 0:44 at 24 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0973) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Reenacted by the New Jersey National Guard.
- - Reenacted May 1899 in the Orange Mountains near West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 500; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 3; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 4 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 30 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 9628 to FZA 2363.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (77 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (77 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 80 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 80 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3987 (viewing print)
- FEC 2820 (viewing print)
- FRA 0021 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2363 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0062B (paper pos)
- Box 5134B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- New Jersey. National Guard
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
New Jersey. National Guard, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Advance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98501192/.
APA citation style:
New Jersey. National Guard, Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Advance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98501192/.
MLA citation style:
New Jersey. National Guard, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Advance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98501192/>.