Film, Video Admiral Dewey landing at Gibraltar
About this Item
- Admiral Dewey landing at Gibraltar
- War hero Adm. George Dewey, famous for his victory at Manila Bay early in the war, was filmed during his trip back to the United States at Gibraltar in early September 1899.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., [1899?].
- - Dewey, George,--1837-1917--Travel--Gibraltar
- - Gibraltar--Description and travel
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 62823 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 27Sept1899; 62823.
- - Original main title lacking.
- - Possible release date is from copyright catalog; unable to verify if work was ever actually released.
- - Duration: 1:22 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1447) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed ca. Sept. 5, 1899, when Admiral Dewey stopped off at Gibraltar on his way to New York City and the first of his homecoming celebrations.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 543-545; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 2.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (67 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (67 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4461 (viewing print)
- FLA 5963 (viewing print)
- FRA 0012 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0012A (paper pos)
- Box 5028B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Admiral Dewey landing at Gibraltar. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co., ?, 1899] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/98501263/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Admiral Dewey landing at Gibraltar. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co., ?] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98501263/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Admiral Dewey landing at Gibraltar. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co., ?, 1899] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98501263/>.