Map Kartenskizze von Africa zur vergleichenden Übersicht der Reisen Dr. Barth's und Dr. Livingstone's.
About this Item
- Kartenskizze von Africa zur vergleichenden Übersicht der Reisen Dr. Barth's und Dr. Livingstone's.
- "This map compares the voyages of the British explorer David Livingstone (1813-73), who traveled down the Zambezi River in 1851-56, and the German Heinrich Barth (1821-65) who, between 1850 and 1855, explored much of western Africa and the Sahara. Barth traveled to western Sudan, Chad, and northern Nigeria, where he researched the decline of the Fulani Empire and the history of the Hausa people, and recorded local languages and histories. In 1855, he spent eight months in Timbuktu, where he studied the Islamic culture of West Africa. Barth later published, in English and German, his five-volume Travels and Discoveries in North and Central Africa (1857-58), regarded as a masterpiece of geographic research. This map is by the prominent German cartographer August Petermann (1822-78), and was published by the Gotha firm of Justus Perthes." World Digital Library.
- Barth, Heinrich, 1821-1865.
- Livingstone, David, 1813-1873.
- Petermann, A. (August), 1822-1878.
- Justus Perthes (Firm : Gotha, Germany)
Created / Published
- [S.l., 1857]
- - Africa--Discovery and exploration--Maps
- - Africa
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : col. ; 25 x 19 cm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- G8201.S12 1857 .K3 TIL
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Barth, Heinrich, David Livingstone, A Petermann, and Justus Perthes. Kartenskizze von Africa zur vergleichenden Übersicht der Reisen Dr. Barth's und Dr. Livingstone's. [S.l, 1857] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/98687116/.
APA citation style:
Barth, H., Livingstone, D., Petermann, A. & Justus Perthes. (1857) Kartenskizze von Africa zur vergleichenden Übersicht der Reisen Dr. Barth's und Dr. Livingstone's. [S.l] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98687116/.
MLA citation style:
Barth, Heinrich, et al. Kartenskizze von Africa zur vergleichenden Übersicht der Reisen Dr. Barth's und Dr. Livingstone's. [S.l, 1857] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/98687116/>.